Aquavitro Salinity

Skim

Well I had bought some salt the other day, as the brand I was using the Alk. levels were high and Cal was high and those where so out of whack then what about the rest. I went and picked up a bucket of Salinity and when I did my first mix I went over ended up having to add more water good thing I left some room. I good not believe the difference with the amount required it is about 1/2 of the other salt. So I finally get 35 ppt at 78. Did water change things seemed better looked happier as it it should my Alk was at 14 dkh. I mixed up some after a couple of days and this time I tested this time as I forgot the first time, so after putting in the last bit of salt I grabbed my Salifert Alk kit so time was about 5 min. after adding the last bit tested out at 10 dkh. I like. Today I did another change as I am trying to lower my Alk. that is why so many, and then it hit me after pumping the water into the Tank and pulling the water out, WOW no residue nothing, see I cleaned the container well rinsed and wiped down and rinsed again, I now wish I would have taken a pic as it was dirty like if you stirred up dirt in a river, I really could not believe it because it did not look that bad. Back to the WOW ya 3rd change and nothing Zero Zip no white chalky ring or on the sides nothing in the bottom no slippery sides when I ran my figures across it felt like I had just washed it and had used soap. Now that impressed me and then I thought ya no there was no foam or brown stuff floating or pieces of wood ya that was a good one ( I think everyone knows that one) I had a piece of wood float up as I was pouring the salt in. Anyhow I think I found my new salt, as long as I keep seeing what I am and hope I do because I have the Big bucket coming and if it mixes as well as this small then it should last for a while. When things selt down I will try and remember to do some tests and post them.
But for the time being I am very impressed with the Salinity salt.

Nick James

Can you advise how much this salt sells for if you don't mind?

I was interested in it because everything they make seems to be highly reviewed.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
I been using this for 3 yrs. I got the bug ass bucket. For 80 in Detroit. I have a 65 gallon with 25 sump. I do a 5 gallon water change every other week. And I can go with that one pail a whole year

Skim

I been using this for 3 yrs. I got the bug ass bucket. For 80 in Detroit. I have a 65 gallon with 25 sump. I do a 5 gallon water change every other week. And I can go with that one pail a whole year
Yes, I could not believe how much less salt I used. i made 20 maybe 25 gal 7 and 1/2 cups with the other salt it was 10 to 12 to make 35 ppt

Marz

Yes, I could not believe how much less salt I used. i made 20 maybe 25 gal 7 and 1/2 cups with the other salt it was 10 to 12 to make 35 ppt
Huh?? I do 1/2 cup per gallon. How easy is it to switch salts, just do it the next water change? I usually do 5 gallons/week on 30g.

Also, I am wondering how long this can sit in my storage once mixed?

Skim

I know some have had problems storing as their Alk. would drop out but from what I also heard you do not want to mix for more than 24 hrs., if you store you mix and then leave it sit still. There is no doubt that this is a different kind of salt, as when mixing you MUST take time outs between each addition of salt if not you will end up with a pile of powder. When mixing it will not always mix totally clear but once added to tank will clear in 30 min to 1 hour. A bit of a learning curve. The neat thing that I seen happen is, as you add the salt if you have a temp probe in the water you can see the temp rise, this salt can burn you if your hand is wet and get some salt on it. When you add it to the water if you listen closely you can hear a sizzle when the salt hits the water.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
The pail is so heavy and big. I full 2 dollar store containers. I put the container in the pail on top of the salt and use the container lid to fill it. The salt is warm to the touch. Even sitting in a dark closet. When I do a new saltwater mix I use A 5 gallon pail and thro a powerhead in normally i leave it overnite. But if I'm not home the next day. I'll get the right salinity and and put it in the sump right away. After I took out 5 gallons

Marz

Interesting. I currently mix my salt for a week...power head and bubbler, so that it is ready. I have to do some more reading on the Aquavitro.

Skim

I think you will be impressed in the effort that goes into making this Salt, I know I was when I called SeaChem and passion that the person spoke with was refreshing to hear. Not just going through the motions. I know it's silly but it's nice to hear some talk with passion in their voice about where they work and how things are made.

Marz

I also have to consider that I plan to setup my auto water changer as well. So make this salt and let it sit, once it's been mixed?

Skim

That's what I have heard and was told you may want to call SeaChem and talk to them they are very helpful. I also found this that may be of some interest, I had to copy the whole thing or nothing. If you look at Aquavitro Salinity in the list those number are pretty consistent and very good spec wise. Those numbers are from a independent Lab that test water samples.

Going to start testing myself one brand at a time. Like one a month. Probably starting soonish. Anyone else like to add their results please feel free to post here or PM me.

And I guess I could link here to the test kit reviews I've done and recommend.
API and Salifert Calcium and Alkalinity tests kits
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1927189

A Nitrate Test kit shootout between NYOS, Salifert, RedSea Pro, and API
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2538789

A PO4 test kit shootout between Nyos, Elos Pro, Salifert, Hanna Checkers x2, and Seachem.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2540702

Me vs. Triton
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2537234

All the Above along with AWT vs. Triton which also includes another follow up Triton test
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24141851

The final Big 3 Shootout Alk, Ca, Mg: RedSea, Nyos, Elos, Salifert, API, Hanna, Triton, AWT
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24321203

to get started:
6eb33e9f35186f5ee5a8dd812cf32a73.jpg

0500fdd1e10a807c0cd4c48ac8e36b41.jpg

Skim

I just did a couple quick tests on the tank water.

Cal= 420
Mag= 1400
Alk= 11
PH= 8.05 according to my Pinpoint

Last I can remember from old salt.
Cal= emptied syringe over 500
Mag= also emptied syringe over 1600
Alk= 14 dkh
PH= 7.8

So after 3 water changes with Salinity that is what I have so far hopefully will get better with next one. Maybe later today or tomorrow.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
If there is enough interest in this salt, I can bring in a some. Cannot advertise price but PM if you would like to try a bucket. Small or large price will be overly competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadianeh

I am thinking of switching from Fauna Marin to this Salinity or RSCP. Is this salt any good? Any other opinions?

Skim

Well I am very happy with Salinity still, I find it to a great Salt. Its not cheap but I guess if you would be moving from Fauna Marin you are worried about it. Can I ask why you want to move from Fauna Marin.

Kjmsmith

I can't compare Salinity to anything else as this is the only salt I've used for over 5 years since day 1 of getting into this hobby. I wouldn't even consider changing from it as I have absolutely no complaints. I find it very stable bucket to bucket. My formula is exactly 2 cups per 5 gallons. This gives me a constant 1.025 every water change. Sometimes I'll premix a week in advance, other times the day before or even morning of doing a water change. I don't find a difference in either. Good luck!