Arduino controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

shipwreck

For my new setup I need a small controller that has 2 digital inputs and 4 outputs. I am thinking an arduino controller might be a good option. Problem is I have never used one so am looking for suggestions on models and sources. I don't have any problems with programming but want an assembled board not a DIY kit.

I am also open to other options just looking for low cost.

AdamS

Yeah i just did one for my lights. It is pretty basic but does 5 channels of 0-10v dimming based on time of day and day of week. The cheapest place i know to get arduinos is dx.com

Shoot me a PM and we can discuss if you want. I know victoss made a reef controller from arduino, further than i have got.

Victoss

Yep I have a full Arduino controller you can check out in my signature and also a simplified version for my biocube that only does lights. I'm not sure what you planning with yours but if your looking to do just lights then there is not much needed. What you would need is an Arduino board (I use the Uno), a RTC (real time circuit) to keep time and 1 resister and transistor for each channel you want to dim.
The RTC can be bought or made: http://www.robotshop.com/ca/productinfo.aspx?pc=RB-Spa-713&lang=en-US
and this is what a 2 channel light would look like:
bc29ledcircuit.png

heres another diagram to help:
leddimming.png

The schematic only does 2 channels but you can add more if needed however there would be some assembly which you may not be interested in and i'm not sure what you want for input. My biocube is set up exactly like this and I program it with the computer if I want to change the dimming, but it does have 1 button to switch it from auto, on, off, etc...
This is for drivers that accept 10V PWM not analog like AdamS, I believe he uses op amps in his.

shipwreck

I ordered an arduino duo and a 4 channel relay shield last night from dx.com 

My project is pretty simple. For my tank I have two oceans motions surge devices. Each unit has a proximity sensor, a indexing motor and a pump. Basically I want to turn the indexing motor until the sensor comes on the wait a period of time before moving again. I may need to turn off the pump before indexing as well. I also haven't decided if the two units will operate sync'd or independently. 

AdamS

Just be sure the relays are capable of switching the motor load. The ratings given for the relays on the sheild are resistive, the numbers go down when you start talking about inductive loads. Also the inrush currents could be a problem. You MIGHT have to get a better relay for your pumps. If you do, look into RIB (relay in a box), you can get them with 5v coil so they would be a direct replacement.

I know building automation companies frequently use RIBs for control of small pumps (less than 1hp) and fans, etc. so they should be reliable.

I have an 8 channel relay shield from dx.com and i like the build quality, but i have never hooked it up, the days are just not long enough.

shipwreck

I will keep that in mind.  The motors are only 7.5watts and the pumps are darts are 135 watts (1.2 amps). The relays are rated 10amps. The in rush current on the pumps shouldn't exceed that.

I just hope delivery doesn't take too long so I can try it all out.

AdamS

Oh... I forgot to mention delivery on dx.com is generally 3 weeks. If you really want to get started i think i have an arduino and relay shield you can borrow to play around with.

Status
Not open for further replies.