Aussie Duncan Fragging

itspaz

I have a beautiful Aussie Duncan that at first started with 3 heads and has grown to well over 20 heads and I'm looking to frag it so I can have it grow out more and cover more of my rockwork. It's still on its original frag plug. How would I go about Fragging a Duncan. It seams to be the only thing that is really growing and I don't want to ruin one of my favorite and more successful corals.

Any advice would help.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Watch some vids on YouTube I’ve seen success with power tools it would be easier then bone cutters it’s more on where to cut but youtube helped me with alll my fragging

Kman

Super Active Member
Does it have more of a solid base or branching? The branching ones i just take wire or bone cutters and snip.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Does it have more of a solid base or branching? The branching ones i just take wire or bone cutters and snip.

good point ! Mine always were more clustered and only had less then a 1” neck , is it just how they grow ?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Bad experiences personally with bone cutters. They just crush the skeleton. Sometimes happens with euphyllia as well. I only saw them now. I use bone cutters on smaller SPS.

itspaz

Bad experiences personally with bone cutters. They just crush the skeleton. Sometimes happens with euphyllia as well. I only saw them now. I use bone cutters on smaller SPS.
Any recommendations on saw blades? I can get my hands on a jewelers hack saw or a standard.

Kman

Super Active Member
good point ! Mine always were more clustered and only had less then a 1” neck , is it just how they grow ?

I find different flow and placement can change how the coral grows. Higher flow it grows more compact so it maximizes flow across the polyps so it isn't sticking out. It will grow in a way to funnel the current to where it wants to maximize polyp exposure and feeding while controlling the flow.

Sitting lower in the tank in sand it branches more. So it keeps itself above the sediment so it isn't smothered and can stay in the light zone. It helps create low flow areas between the branches where sediment settle and then can be used as a food source by directly up-taking the nutrients through the cell walls.

I use wire cutters to cut mine I find they damage a little less. But crushing is part of coral defense strategy when something falls on them or a impact happens so a part can break away and survive. For LPS\sps these crumple zones in the skellaton help distribute daughter colonies and they can even be used as a form of asexual reproduction where they release enzymes to dissolve these sections so daughter colonies can drop off and get re distributed. Coral cells have specialized cells that are designed to shear away in situations like crushing or break away so the tissue doesn't tear off to much tissue. But rather tear in a jagged pattern like a zipper. Old school trick is cut the coral frag and if it is still connected leave it. It is still getting resources from the main portion and will shear the tissue when it is ready.