Awesome Fish Trap!!!

spyd

Super Active Member
Finally, I am able to write a review on a trap that Jon has built for me to use. It is a great design. He was able to make a bracket so that I can mount it on to my Eurobracing! The trap mechanism is excellent. The sliding trap door is held up by a small acrylic rod with fish line attached to it. One little pull and that trap door is shut instantly! The best part about the trap is the feeding tube inside. The top of the feeding tube sits above the water line so no need to get your hands wet. Just dump a little food in the top and it floats down into the trap. There is a small opening at the bottom of the feed tube on the back side for the fish to eat the food. Very smart placement as the fish have to go right in to reach around the feeding tube.

As for the results: I could easily trap any fish in my tank. The easiest are by far the Tangs. They go in there without a care. I have even had my 8" Fowleri squeeze in there to get the food. My Wrasse are constantly in the trap as well. The only real difficult fish to get in there are my Anthias, Clowns and Cardinals. Of course, the Cardinals are what I am after so it is a longer process. The issue is they are grouping fish and are very timid. I have caught 2 of 9 so far. The best way to catch them I have found is to feed, using a turkey baster, right in front of the trap. All the fish swim in and out all feeding long and the Cardinals go in the odd time. Once in, I can easily close the trap instantly. Here are a few pics:

SO this is the trap. Because it sits off my eurobracing, I can keep it up high and out of the way. I just leave it in there all day long and the fish are used to it being there. It doesn't sit anywhere near my front or side glass so I can clean around it and not have to worry about any scratches.
FishTank069_zpsa2cc5c24.jpg

I could have caught my Sailfin in this thing about 50 times so far. It has absolutely no fear of the trap:
FishTank075_zps23f4b6b7.jpg

And here is my Rabbitfish which goes in all the time as well. This is great for a venomous fish that can easily get stuck in a net, etc. Much safer for both the fish and myself. There are holes drilled in the side of the trap for oxygen to reach the trapped fish and water release when removing the trap.
FishTank072_zps2cc005f2.jpg

All in all, a very impressive trap! Well done Jon!!!! Can't wait to get that custom screen top!!!

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
nice, the thick door is key, i borrowed one almost identical to that except it was bigger and made to just hook over the side of a rimless tank, when you pull that fishing line it drops really nice and quick. looks great, i've been thinking of trying to build one like it myself because its one of those things that would be nice to own..

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
Glad to see that my "ideas" worked when put to the test.

The feeding tube is what I was really trying to work with. A trap is a trap. But baiting a trap is key IMO. Second is the door. Which I went all in with. It is 1/2" plexi.

The trap door also has a second hole. It allows the "pin" to lock the door down (ever lost a fish while removing the trap! Much swearing!) The holes in the side allow most of the water out (and water in for moving the food smell into the tank) to make removal easier, and hopefully not as messy.

I am hoping to have a bunch of these made up for the show. What you can't really see in the picture is that I made it a dual mount. This will hang over the edge, or it will go onto a Euro brace.

Given that the tangs made it in there, I will probably stick to a one size trap.

spyd

Super Active Member
The size is definitely right for all sizes. I will take a better pic of the dual mounting which is very slick. The only suggestion I have is to maybe drill additional holes in the trap door. This would allow to adjust the opening size in the trap so you can keep out the larger fish if you want to catch smaller, more shy fish.

Awesome work Jon!

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Derek,
If you are looking to catch the cardinals then try at night when it's pitch dark..... Cardinals are nocturnal by nature and only come out during daylight in our fish tanks because they start realizing this is feeding time. My cardinals are not ones to go too close to the water surface either...... Out of all my fish I've ever had these would be the most challenging to capture. You can try starving them a little too and see if it helps. If the male is brooding fry in his mouth then he will never go in the trap for food either IMO. Good luck!

Excellent looking fish trap btw JT!!! Might need to pick one up sometime....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
Adding holes to the door is a great idea! Added to the plans I am making (sent that out before measuring, and making records)

I will have these at the show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2