Baby nassarius snails?

DerekL

I turned my light back on tonight to relocate one of my clams. Before turning the lights back off I took a look around my tank. I noticed 3 of these little guys at the front of my tank. One of them is still on the glass. I ask about nassarius snails as it looks like these little guys have the long eye that nassarius snails have that they keep up out of the sand and there shape is the same. My nassarius snails are always laying eggs too. I left them be I hope they are reef safe. The last pic is the best close up I could get with my iphone.

iantower

I was actually wondering this as well because I put a single nassarius snail in my sump and have found a couple babies since then, I don't know if their asexual but I don't know any other way that the one snail could have had a batch of babies. 

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I have had baby nass snails show up before as we'll.  but they population never grew and I think it's more of a fluke if anything survives, not the norm.

DerekL

So baby nassarius snails? I saw them again last night in the same area as the other night. Just think it's weird that I can't find them anywhere with lights on leading me to think they may be some other kind of snail

reeffreak

Super Active Member
DerekL link said:
So baby nassarius snails? I saw them again last night in the same area as the other night. Just think it's weird that I can't find them anywhere with lights on leading me to think they may be some other kind of snail

Nasseruis snails really only come out of the sand bed at night. I do not ever see mine until lights out

DerekL

Yea I agree but mine all pop up instantly when I feed the fish. I read about whelk snails and eating clams and would hate to wake up to find my two clams became dinner to some snails.