Baby nassarius snails!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I belive my nassarius in my nano have bred, there are over 15 babies I counted.

Thing is I only put 2 nass in there to begin with lol,

I've looked hard but I don't see this happening in my display so I'll be transferring these guys over soon, don't want them running out of food

arevemav.jpg

ybadu4e2.jpg

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I had the same thing happen.:)  But it wasn't sustainable and eventually they reduced their numbers... But if you are successful I need a handful of nass snails :)

Victoss

My trochus snails were spawning yesterday too, not sure if many babies will come of it as generally I see the eggs. They like to do it every time I set up a new tank and throw them in, got about 100 in one go once.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Didn't notice this earlier.

Brandon you may want to make certain that they are actually Nass before you transfer any.  Nassarius are difficult breeders due to a long free swimming larval stage.  Predatory whelks however look very similar but go straight from eggs to baby snails so they breed readily in aquaria.

A closeup pic of the opening of the shell will help ID

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
AdInfinitum link said:

Brandon you may want to make certain that they are actually Nass before you transfer any.  Nassarius are difficult breeders due to a long free swimming larval stage.  Predatory whelks however look very similar but go straight from eggs to baby snails so they breed readily in aquaria.

awe geez.... looked up a photo of whelks, kinda look similar :/
what are they dangerous too and how, if necessary should i eradicate them?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=AdInfinitum link=topic=8600.msg93841#msg93841 date=1400198760]

[/quote]

They eat meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
unibob link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=8600.msg93842#msg93842 date=1400198894]
[quote author=AdInfinitum link=topic=8600.msg93841#msg93841 date=1400198760]

[/quote]

They eat meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]

nothing for them to eat in the nano though... just left over food maybe and detrius ....

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Nassarius are really a type of whelk that are detritus specific.  Jerry is right other whelks will eat anything meaty they can get leftover food or living things. Most have somewhat specialized diets as far as living prey goes many are snail hunters some are clam eaters, some eat worms and slow moving pods.

When I had my fish out of the DT for a bit recently after a couple of weeks I had an explosion in the population in my tank and they killed my cool orange snails and had a go at my conch which fought them off.  Since the wrasses went back in I don't see them anymore but it explains where my stomatellas went and why I haven't been able to keep smaller snails alive.

They couldn't take out my Mexican turbos, conch or ninja star astreas.