Battery Backup

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
has anyone here ever hooked up a small trickle charge solar panel to batteries and an inverter for emergency backup? seems all the green people are using similar to store solar power and the market has exploded with larger batteries and cheaper.... i would go the generator route but like this way better, its more fun to do it yourself after all

100gallon

What I did steve was wait until a big sale came on at canadian tire. I bought a 2000 watt inverter and a deep cycle marine battery. I keep the trickle hooked up and I have had to use it 3 x so far in the last 2 mos!. Run a 500 w finnex return mag 12 and one power head....not bad for drain!

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
I went the generator route. I got a 7000 watt on a boxing week sale. I went that size so I can run my furnace, a few lights in the house and of course my tank heaters and powerheads. A generator is an easy sell to a wife / girlfriend because it can run things in the house like heat, or if you go camping it can be used. Even if it is really for the reef tank. ;)

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
What I did steve was wait until a big sale came on at canadian tire. I bought a 2000 watt inverter and a deep cycle marine battery. I keep the trickle hooked up and I have had to use it 3 x so far in the last 2 mos!. Run a 500 w finnex return mag 12 and one power head....not bad for drain!

How long do you get for a power supply..... i have an availability of golf cart batteries at cost from a buddy who works at a golf course so i was gonna hook 5 or 6 deep cycle together with an 1800-2000 watt inverter whatever comes on sale first lol.

I went the generator route. I got a 7000 watt on a boxing week sale. I went that size so I can run my furnace, a few lights in the house and of course my tank heaters and powerheads. A generator is an easy sell to a wife / girlfriend because it can run things in the house like heat, or if you go camping it can be used. Even if it is really for the reef tank. ;)

Ya thats out the question my idea of camping is everything on my back lol wife knows i wouldnt step foot on a campground..... im too redneck i guess even tho she buys me all these fancy clothes, if i had my way it would be hunt gear all day everyday lol.... and another reason i dont want to go the generator route is one day i want my entire reef solar powered so this is just a starting experiment.

100gallon

I almost wish I would have gone the gas Jenny route...had I shopped around there was a gasser at tsc and would have only been 200 more. I figure I can get three hours with what I mentioned. So far the longest was 2. I have a 300 jager I can use to save wattage. However..if it's gonna be a long one I can put the inverter on the car and draw 12v off it and run till hydro back on. Just run extension cord to tank.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I almost wish I would have gone the gas Jenny route...had I shopped around there was a gasser at tsc and would have only been 200 more. I figure I can get three hours with what I mentioned. So far the longest was 2. I have a 300 jager I can use to save wattage. However..if it's gonna be a long one I can put the inverter on the car and draw 12v off it and run till hydro back on. Just run extension cord to tank.

I plan on putting the entire system solar power one day :) 3hrs is better than i figured and my pump is smaller will prob be starting with 3 at first then adding more as i have the money

100gallon

Sorry...I forgot to mention that. I was looking into solar trickle but I just use charger on deep cycle setting after a usage

RWH

Canadian Tire also puts decent solar panels and inverters on sale ...I was thinking the same thing, and hooking up a spare truck battery I have to the inverter. I only have a 75 gallon tank and if I can an airstone in it that should help in a power outage.
But I was also thinking of a generatore as well for household requirements in the event of a power failure...so I'm sure I could find a spare plug for the tank!

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Canadian Tire also puts decent solar panels and inverters on sale ...I was thinking the same thing, and hooking up a spare truck battery I have to the inverter. I only have a 75 gallon tank and if I can an airstone in it that should help in a power outage.
But I was also thinking of a generatore as well for household requirements in the event of a power failure...so I'm sure I could find a spare plug for the tank!

Ya theres alot of the off the grid places now with big inverters if needed and a few good batteries go a long way... i think im going with 6v's in series my buddy said they take multiple charges better and last longer