Best way to plumb return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidewaze

This is where I'm a little fuzzy on what to do. To me the water should return through a sweep rather than a 90 as the 90 would cause uneeded restriction requiring a greater gph pump. I've tried researching and unable to see how people do the return and disperse the flow. Any recommendations on a pump to provide 600gph with a max lift of 5 feet but more like 3.5-4'.

Thanks
Scott

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Sidewaze link said:
This is where I'm a little fuzzy on what to do. To me the water should return through a sweep rather than a 90 as the 90 would cause uneeded restriction requiring a greater gph pump. I've tried researching and unable to see how people do the return and disperse the flow. Any recommendations on a pump to provide 600gph with a max lift of 5 feet but more like 3.5-4'.

Thanks
Scott

I agree if you can eliminate any 90's then do so. 

Just something to think about.... your return flow for your tank should not be used as the main source of flow for the tank.  Your return pump flow rate should be very similar to what your skimmer can handle. 

As for what pump you should get? I use a blueline on one of my lines that requires a little more power for head height, but If you can get away with it, I would look into the Water Blaster Pumps, I think IA sells them if I remember correctly. 

Dave

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Re: Best way to plumb return

You do not want a pump tbat out preforms your drain,for obvious reasons,you didnt mention internal or external return.the larger return the more gph you can put into the tank,i use blueline exclusivley on my return,skimmer,pellet reactor all external.Internally i would recomend a mag drive with a ball valve on the output
Sent from my HTC Incredible S

spyd

Super Active Member
You can use 2 - 45's in place of a 90. That would reduce the restriction of the water flow. A lot of people use Spa Flex piping as well. It is bendable and prevents any restricting fittings. You can buy it at Lowes. I used solid PVC on my return line and only Spa Flex on the drain lines.

Royal Aquariums

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
Website
www.royalaquariums.ca
Its always better to go a bit bigger with valve on the output so you can turn it back and adjust to the exact flow you desire. And as pulp said, this gives you the opportunity to plumb in media reactors into your main pump and save on buying another pump for these purposes. Generally the rule is to get a pump that will cycle the full volume of the aquarium 10-15 times per hour.

Sidewaze

I guess what I'm looking for is how do you enter the tank? Should i make a spray bar or just the pvc pipe entering the tank? I'll have two powerheads 1300gph each in the area where the water returns. Just want some good options on how the water should enter. Getting ready to plumb return.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Sidewaze link said:
I guess what I'm looking for is how do you enter the tank? Should i make a spray bar or just the pvc pipe entering the tank? I'll have two powerheads 1300gph each in the area where the water returns. Just want some good options on how the water should enter. Getting ready to plumb return.

Your more than welcome to stop by my place anytime to take a look at how I have my system set up. I'm just down the raos in W-burg.

Sidewaze

Thanks Rick I'm actually going to be out that way on Saturday maybe I can stop by after I get back from the U.S. Let me know what's good for you

spyd

Super Active Member
Is your tank drilled? If not, are you just coming oevr the top with the return line? If you are, then you can use a U-pipe with locline. Locline is the most common way to spread out the return flow. Or, you could all ways plumb into a Vertex Motion Ocean, Sea Swirl, etc. or something along those lines if you want added flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.