Best way to remove Aiptasia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

becca_vienna

LR came with a couple.. Didn't realize that one day soon they will multiply at an alarming rate!

Anyone know a safe easy way to remove them?

Thanks Everyone!!!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Didn't you buy that liverock from a local retailer?? And paid a premium price for it? If so I might suggest talking to them.

You can also get: peppermint shrimp, or a copper banded butterfly, as they are both known to eat them on occasion.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
If I read correctly you just started into salt. If this is correct then I do not suggest adding anything. Take the rock out, and treat/remove the aiptasia. Inverts nor finicky fish should be added to a new system.

spyd

Super Active Member
Brandon link said:
Didn't you buy that liverock from a local retailer?? And paid a premium price for it? If so I might suggest talking to them.

You can also get: peppermint shrimp, or a copper banded butterfly, as they are both known to eat them on occasion.

The problem is high quality rock generally comes from Indo reefs. And Indo reefs are flooded with aiptasia. So, even if you pay a premium for it, chances are there will be aiptasia on it unless the LFS actually leaves it in a tank with some type of fish or invert to clean it all up before selling.

B

becca_vienna

Brandon link said:

I did actually, Incredible Aquarium. I will inquire for sure, I was planning on going there to pick up a peppermint shrimp to deal with it.. maybe I can get a discount;) Although they aren't expensive anyway!
So far, still just the 2 aiptasia.

Have looked into laser blasting them as well. I dont have anything near them that will be harmed and my dad has the laser!

Will keep you updated though ;)

spyd

Super Active Member
The propane torch works the best if the rock can come out. It is guaranteed not to spread in your tank that way. The problem with treating in the display is that they can spread easily when dying off. Then you have more and more and more pop up everywhere. I tried treating in my old system and ended up having hundreds of the freakin things.

B

becca_vienna

eek! Well there is nothing on the rocks so I Could take them out, and I do have a little torch!
I definitely do not want too many more of them:|

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
becca_vienna link said:
[quote author=Brandon link=topic=3974.msg35433#msg35433 date=1357736669]

I did actually, Incredible Aquarium. I will inquire for sure, I was planning on going there to pick up a peppermint shrimp to deal with it.. maybe I can get a discount;) Although they aren't expensive anyway!
So far, still just the 2 aiptasia.

Have looked into laser blasting them as well. I dont have anything near them that will be harmed and my dad has the laser!

Will keep you updated though ;)
[/quote]

Buying a remedy from a store to take care of a problem that you got from the same store is crazy. 

S

saltnureye

Poseidon link said:
vinegar in a syringe has been the best way in my experiance

Agree, A syringe with vinegar or even lemon juice directly in the body of the aiptasia.
Usually they shrivel up but sometimes they will release from the rock and float around so be ready to scoop them up.
Also kalkwasser paste injected directly in our around will kill them in seconds, just be careful on how much your injecting to avoid PH spike.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Neopimp link said:
Aiptasia x .... Works great

so ive heard but it does nothing for me, i injected a couple and they came back without any tenitacles one day and the next day 3 more appeared.

Jewel

I think the best and only way to totally irradicate them from your system for good is a cooperative shrimp, Copperband Butterfly or Apstatia eating Nudibranch. I bought a pair of the Nudibranches years ago, They laid eggs that night and flourished in my system for years and when ever i would upgrade those little guys came with the rock. I never had a problem while I had that rock in my system.  Somebody out there is have success with my purchase.

When you attack them with Vinagar or Caulk or anything that you apply to them in the tank all you're doing is spreading them. Hey maybe Dereks way might be the cheapest way in the short term anyway LOL

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i agree, i would wait it out for a shrimp or two.. they usually do a good job from what I've read.. You don't need to worry about them taking your tank over.. just don't screw with them,  I've had 2 in my tank for at least a year.. i keep meaning to just remove the zoos they are attached to and pitch them but haven't got around to it yet, its not a dire emergency that's for sure. start poking them and you might kill them.. but like others have said you might make them spread.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Hmm works for me.  The aip x is like a food.  Trick is to cover the middle mouth up with the stuff.  They try to grab the needle cause they think its food. 

I have only used once so I can't tell how well it works long term.  The ones I squirted haven't come back yet.

Jewel

I've used it too and sometimes it works but other times it doesn't. I am very selective about what I put in my tank That's why I went with the Macro or Marco or who ever his name is. Those days of buying other peoples problems are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.