BIGSHOW'S 550g reef system

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I consider myself pretty fortunate.  I am gone for 2 weeks every month for the past 4 years and this is the first "major" disaster that happened.

I was dosing LC into my skimmer with the thinking the skimmate would bring the precipitate out into the skimmer collection cup.  However, the precipitate was quite heavy and even with an aggressive skim the precipitate was just sort of tumbling in the skimmer.  I am now dosing into a  filter sock.

MY P04 was up around 0.75 ppm.  It is back down to 0.21 before  I left (after one 24 hour dosing session).  I calculated the system volume, the amount of P04 and dosed over a 24 hour period.  I didn't want to drop the Po4 to zero so next time I am home I will drop it again to 0.05-0.10 (which is the levels I prefer anyways).  I was dosing by diluting the lanathum chloride in RO/DI water so I could dose a decent amount evenly over a 24 hour period.  (even on my largish system and high levels you don't need much).  It is extremely effective at removing PO4 so just be careful with your measurements and start slowly. 

I am still undecided if I am going to continue to does LC at regular intervals to battle PO4 or stick with the expensive GFO.  I think I will get the Po4 back to reasonable value (0.05-0.10 is good for me) and run the GFO to see if it can maintain those desired levels.  IF not then I will go back to dosing, with a less aggressive schedule.

As far as effects on my system due to the dosing and large change in Po4 levels. I haven't really seen any negative effects (albeit its only been 2 weeks).  I do see my acros with new growth so I know they are happier, but I will be keeping an eye on the Chalice and other LPS. 

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
davesolo29 link said:
I got mine at Ashton pools in kitchener.  Check your pool stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is pretty cheap stuff.  BigAls carries it as well.  I think a bottle is $15-$20 which should last a moderate size system quite a while

davesolo29

Super Active Member
BIGSHOW link said:
[quote author=davesolo29 link=topic=3071.msg96291#msg96291 date=1402149641]

It is pretty cheap stuff.  BigAls carries it as well.  I think a bottle is $15-$20 which should last a moderate size system quite a while
[/quote]
I was talking about the spa flex.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
davesolo29 link said:
[quote author=BIGSHOW link=topic=3071.msg96296#msg96296 date=1402150898]
[quote author=davesolo29 link=topic=3071.msg96291#msg96291 date=1402149641]

[/quote]
I was talking about the spa flex.

[/quote]

Ah my bad.  But, you can also find LC there.  :)

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
reeferkeeper420 link said:
Sorry to hear about your crash, glad to see youve got everything back up and running relatively smoothly. Glad you didnt lose your whole table.

Thanks.  Crashes happen even to the best of us.  Even us vendors ( or dirty basement fraggers) can have our time. 

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I got mine at Ashton pools in kitchener. Check your pool stores.

Be careful with the LC from pool suppliers, some brands have copper in it. I use brightwell aquatics from marine depot.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I will be stocking a marine LC shortly, so anyone looking for some let me know.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Go advertise on your own damn thread...just kidding :)

So little update.

The 225g has taken a bit of a beating over the past 8 months due to the amount of corals moving in and out of the system. Phos is within reason (0.08-0.10), not great but accessible with the amount of change over (this has been stabilized with just using GFO, LC is no longer used). The Nitrates are still running high at about 25ppm. I have done some major cleanings recently; cleaned the sump, the 5' table, 7' table and a major cleaning in the 225g DT. Acros are starting to turn around now, despite a few deaths. I have also added a few wild Acro sample pieces from some suppliers and they have colored up fairly well despite the high nitrates, so going in the right direction now. I do plan to run another reactor with more bio-cubes as I am only running about half the required amount. Hopefully in another month or two and the system will be puuuuuuring like a kitten again...and in good time, its WILD acro season :)

Other then that, I have added another coral table and I am completely re-doing the aquascape/livestock in the 150g behind the bar as the tank has basically done nothing since it was built. I couldn't decided what I wanted to do, but I think I have figured it out. I will take some more photos of the display tanks soon. Future plans is to add one more coral table and possibly a small fish system for high end fish, but first need to finish the basement renovation.