Biocube Media Basket Idea

So I've been looking at getting one of those InTank media baskets and possibly the Fuge Basket but they seem rather pricey. After mulling it over for a while I've come up with an idea that I may try to design myself. I'm hoping that any of you DIYers out there could tell me if this is feasible and any possible problems you see or changes you would make.

I've made some handy diagrams to hopefully make it easier to understand. ;) First is a pic of all the components ...

The MAIN BASKET is placed into Chamber 2 of the filter section in the Biocube. Then any MACROALGAE is placed in the bottom of this basket. Next the SECONDARY BASKET is placed in the MAIN BASKET and sits on the acrylic ledges.

Next the CHEMI-PURE/CARBON is placed in the lower compartment of the SECONDARY BASKET and is then covered by the BIOMEDIA COVER which has holes to allow water to flow through. After that the SPONGE/FLOSS is placed on top.

This final pic shows the water flow. The blue arrows show the intended water flow and the orange arrows show the overflow should the intended flow be blocked in any way.

So there it is. A few pieces of acrylic cut to size, a drill and some acrylic glue should be all that is needed. Feel free to post any comments, advice or suggestions that you may have. :cool:

Dave.

BTW - I do realize that I may have to make a piece to direct the water from Chamber 1 over the SPONGE/FLOSS. I'll worry about that after I find out if the basket will work or not. ;)

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Just wondering how you will get light to the macroalgae if the basket is on top of it? Am I missing something you incorporated into the design for light?

I have the Oceanic Biocube HQI. It has a window at the back for Chamber 2. I already have an small LED at the back on a timer opposite the tank lights.

Crappy pic but it shows the window. I now have the LED in place using velcro.

heath

Distinguished Member
I like that idea, I understand it (scarey) I have a similar system and wanted to do something like that, my only issue that I see is the hose(?) from the return pump is in the way...hmmm, food for thought...

I like that idea, I understand it (scarey) I have a similar system and wanted to do something like that, my only issue that I see is the hose(?) from the return pump is in the way...hmmm, food for thought...

I'm a bit confused. :confused: The hose for the return pump is in Chamber 3. There is just a little hole at the bottom right of Chamber 2 for the water to enter Chamber 3 ... at least in my Biocube that's how it seems to be.

heath

Distinguished Member
I'm a bit confused. :confused: The hose for the return pump is in Chamber 3. There is just a little hole at the bottom right of Chamber 2 for the water to enter Chamber 3 ... at least in my Biocube that's how it seems to be.

no according to your drawing, which is great... my return is in chamber 2 but there are 2 returns coming back into the tank, hence the hoses..I have a skimmer running in chamber 3 and want to get another one for chamber 1...does that make more sense...

Nope ... still confused. LOL There is no hose for the return pump in my drawing. Or are you just referring to your setup?

In the diagram the red slashed line at the bottom left in Chamber 3 is the hole I'm referring to.