black fuzzy stuff on rocks

nitro069

I Have this black stuff growing on my rocks. It has some white fuzzy crap on the top of it. not very long. the white fuzzy shit is kinda slimey and will scrape off with a fingernail but the black shit is kinda like a dense carpet and doesn't appear to scrape of very easy.

The first pic i have highlighted the fuzzy parts of the black fuzz. basically anywhere that has black on it on that rock has a bit of fuzz on it.

Directly behind that rock i have this red spiderweb looking algae. not sure what that is either.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Whiter light would be best for a photo, all I see is different/darker shades of blue, not sure exactly what to look for.

From the sounds of the description, I agree with daleomilla, sponge. But you have a few different identifications on the site right now. Would be interested to get them all together and see what is going on in your tank.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I agree with above most likely a sponge I have black sponge growing under some of my rocks. Beneficial.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yup, with the new pictures...in pic 1, can clearly see sponges. Harmless. They may just do their thing and die off with no ill affects. I think that if you take the rock out of the water and get them some air, then they will die off too.

As for the red stuff, red hair algae growing on some bleached out coralline algae.

nitro069

i put up some better pics, although still not the greatest. this stuff is growing on the top of the rock in a high light area. any other sponge i have in my tank is in a low light area. Currently i have white and black sponges that i can physically see, not sure what else is in there.