Black Nudibranch Good Or Bad?!

Young Reefer

I was just looking in my 120 gal reef tank and I noticed a little black nudibranch and about an inch and a half long so I pulled him out and tossed him in my 10 gal nano tank. Is he a coral eater? I only got a bad pic of him during the move it disappeared too quickly into the 10 gal.
83261a150b2e53be1ce0a49d14a960a8.jpg
d721a1ef901c751abef8abbc1e2b9915.jpg
42b20e17ba0af07c3b08cde3f96ce5ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
If you touch it does the back split open and have a white hard shell? It is safe if so and it is an algae eater. It is a sea slug called Scutus if it does.

Young Reefer

If you touch it does the back split open and have a white hard shell? It is safe if so and it is an algae eater. It is a sea slug called Scutus if it does.

No I picked it up and it stayed like a squishy long thing it doesn't have a shell. It does have one white spot on its back and one on each antenna.

Kman

Super Active Member
After you ID keep it in that tank for a few weeks just in case. Unless you are absolutely sure. If you ID wrong it can mean the difference between a harmless algae eater or a coral killer.

Young Reefer

I saw one of those in my Google searches. But I didn't see wow on the antenna in your pic, so kept looking

I could get a good picture but it's a very small white dot on each antenna and the back so I'm not sure I looked at the links and I can't see one similar

Young Reefer

After you ID keep it in that tank for a few weeks just in case. Unless you are absolutely sure. If you ID wrong it can mean the difference between a harmless algae eater or a coral killer.

I'm super careful about dipping everything that goes into my tank and thoroughly inspecting rocks so I think he snuck in really small and all my corals are doing well so I think it's harmless but not worth the risk

Kman

Super Active Member
I'm super careful about dipping everything that goes into my tank and thoroughly inspecting rocks so I think he snuck in really small and all my corals are doing well so I think it's harmless but not worth the risk

Good idea to be careful. It is more than likely safe or you would have seen some damage on corals. But the one time you aren't careful it bites you in the butt. Lol

Skim

I know Mark at Coral shop in Burlington was trying to get some in as they are great algae eaters. Maybe you could shoot him a pic and see if he can confirm if its the same.

Skim

Skim

On another note hopefully its not like the tropical Frogs and after touching them you slip into coma in couple of days or your skin starts to bubble up and fall off your arm.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Skim

Young Reefer

On another note hopefully its not like the tropical Frogs and after touching them you slip into coma in couple of days or your skin starts to bubble up and fall off your arm.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Skim

I definitely did NOT wash my hands after handling it so there's a possibility I may get bubbly skin LOL if you don't hear from me on the forum in a few days send help :p haha