bleaching problem now ! great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crazybizzle

i switched my bulbs about a month ago from:  3- 420-460 actnic's// ---2 10 k's// ---1 uvl 454 to :

2-- aq blue spec. 12k//    3-blu+/      1 figi purp

i lowered some of the corals that were up high and slowly brought them back up.  everything was looking fine .  now last week a couple were starting to looked a little bleached out so i removed a --aq blue spec. 12k in hopes that the combo of 12k's were to much. how long does it take for the colours to come back?  was thinking i should see if just running the one 12k would be ok if not im removing them and putting  10ks back in but i dont know how long it takes to see the results. what should i do.

my tank is 24 high my light fxture is a aquaticlife 6x54 suspended about 6 inches from top of tank my corals that were bleaching out are a war coral and a chalice cup coral sitting in about the middle of tank, they are my prize pieces when i first started out got them from tropicorium so i payed alot lol.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
those 12k blue spec are a great stand alone light,id run them alone for 4-6 hrs then id tone it down to  the fiji purple  a few hrs the off for 8-10 hrs myself,just to see if they recover from the bleaching out,id think rick  or dalimilla would know if adding any suppliments would help,they seem like the coral pros here

Blob-79

Super Active Member
crazybizzle link said:
i switched my bulbs about a month ago from:   3- 420-460 actnic's// ---2 10 k's// ---1 uvl 454 to :

2-- aq blue spec. 12k//    3-blu+/      1 figi purp

i lowered some of the corals that were up high and slowly brought them back up.  everything was looking fine .  now last week a couple were starting to looked a little bleached out so i removed a --aq blue spec. 12k in hopes that the combo of 12k's were to much. how long does it take for the colours to come back?  was thinking i should see if just running the one 12k would be ok if not im removing them and putting  10ks back in but i dont know how long it takes to see the results. what should i do.

my tank is 24 high my light fxture is a aquaticlife 6x54 suspended about 6 inches from top of tank my corals that were bleaching out are a war coral and a chalice cup coral sitting in about the middle of tank, they are my prize pieces when i first started out got them from tropicorium so i payed alot lol.

changing colour spectrum will not cause bleaching  changing light intensity, yes the corals will need to acclimate. The most common cause for coral bleaching is temperature.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
From my experience chalices tend to beach easier than most corals and yet almost always recover. I would lower both corals to the bottom of your tank but make sure that they are still getting direct light from your fixture. I've had corals take 1-6 months for them to colour back up. Also, manually feeding then here and there should help.

You might want to make double check your water parameters as well. Lighting is not always the reason why corals bleach.

- Too much flow
- Increase/decrease in water temperatures.
- Increase/decrease in water salinity.
- Build up of carbon dioxide and methane gases.
- Exposure to increased ultraviolet radiation.
- Exposure to high light levels.
- Decrease in light levels.
- Sedimentation build up on coral
- High nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, phosphate
- Pollution (this could be just about anything that may have made it's way into your tank or coral chemical warfare)

Blob-79

Super Active Member
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/tridacnid-and-coral-bleaching-part-1-what-it-is-and-what-causes-it.htm

this is a pretty decent read, explaining all the different variables.

C

crazybizzle

Seggsy link said:
Any update?  What did you do, and how are the corals doing?

update is moved ones that wete bleaching to bottom.  removed one 12k noticed some colour improvment but some are doing bad still have to give it another coyple weeks to see whats up.

Status
Not open for further replies.