blue tang weird spots? dont think its ich

reefpuffer

Not sure what is going on with this tang, thought maybe velvet? I had him in hypo because he had a few ich spots a few weeks back, had him in hypo for two weeks and spots cleared right up, so I slowly over a couple day period began raising the salinity, and noticed the tang started to look fuzzy almost, so today I did a 100% water change, cleaned everything with hot fresh water also scrubbed the tank with hot water, gave him a 3 minute fresh water dip just to be on the safe side. These pics were taken shortly after the fresh water dip, anybody recognize whats going on here? He is still eating and has looked fuzzy for a couple days now, and no signs of scratching, no rapid breathing? Still eats like a pig? Am I missing something here?

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
my sailfin had white spots sumtime after we switched tanks.  ..i just kept feeding it new like garlic flakes amd leave it alone. poof gone.  ..i dont quartine or anything just leave them alone ..its been with us for 3 yrs now

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
My blue tang gets those exact same spots from time to time when he's stressed.  Usually when my hands are in the tank for some major maintenance

Mine usually goes away by the next day.  I'm never too concerned because I have 2 cleaner shrimp and 3 blood shrimp in my tank. 

harleymike

Super Active Member
looks like ich to me. But feed him lots of garlic food and hope it works out.
I had a out break once like that, all but one tang lived. Lasted about 2 weeks then everyone was fine.
Mike

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Nothing else in the tank is showing any signs?  Then likely just a skin irritation from stress or environmental irritants.

If it is velvet, it takes no prisoners and will decimate the population.  BTW velvet is not affected by hyposalinity, does live on the outside of the fish (unlike Ich which lives under the skin) and will drop off during FW dips leaving behind small wounds where their sucking tendrils penetrated the fishes skin.