Brandon's 180gallon tank

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Hey there frag tank, im relativity new and havent posted any pics of my system yet so im going to try now...

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
heres some pics of my sump
its 40 gallon long...
i plumbed it all myself so its rather lacking but it works so im happy :)
i really made a mess of siliconing the overflow box in

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Heres my QT tank
the last 2 pics are of my anemone... its not doing the greatest... it just split but its really dying... it used to be 19" across

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Heres a list of my livestock

One spot fox face
blue tang
yellow tang
sail fin tang

3 talbots damsels
yellow tail damsels

bi-colour
coral beauty

2 lyre tail anthias
yellow wrasse
cleaner wrasse

lawnmower blenny
cleaner shrimp
peppermint shrimp

still plan on adding:

cow fish (that little box one )

purple tang or powder brown

raccon butterfly (not sure about reef safe though)

2 pure black and white clowns

maybe some more anthias

Corals:

frogspawn
green finger
kenya tree
purple mushrooms
2 large elephant ears
several candy cane frags with 12+ heads ea.
duncan coral with 20+ heads

alot of brown zoas all over the tank
a few watermelon zoas frags

i think thats everything.... lol

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Wow! when you PM'd about the Nem being sick I had no idea it was that bad...and it started before the last tank change? so not ruptured while moving?

The big Nem's hate change...My clone of yours (now close to 24" again) sulked (a shriveled ball for a couple of weeks after I put one of my flame BTA's in the far end of my 200gal).  They will eventually adapt to most things but too many changes too fast will kill them for sure. In my experience (I have had that anemone/clones/colony for many years) the biggest cause of problems are pH changes (must be stable and well buffered against swings) and overfeeding (LTA's are not really "fish eaters" like the large carpets) trying to digest large objects causes them significant damage at the tissue level.

Going forward...lots of circulation/oxygen exchange in the QT, a halide pendant or pc/ho close to the surface of the water (so it can hide or "bask" by its choice), and no food.  Good luck...

...and if it makes you feel any better...or worse...the lobo-brain I got from you suffered a very adverse reaction to my "carbon dosing experiment" (thread to follow...) and will not likely recover... :'( 

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
ya.. as you can see it split again... and seems to be a little happier in the QT....
my ph is fairly stable... about 8.3 or so.... it was happy for a good month, until i changed the flow abit.. then it started moving around the tank, and it never seemed happy since then... i tried fixing the problem and returning the flow back but still wasnt happy...

i DID however when it was healthy, feed it about 25% of a large frozen shrimp (thawed and cleaned) every 2 weeks... maybe thats what did it...

the QT tank lights are t6 i believe?? it was mainly meant for fish quartine before putting them in the DT....

and thats to bad about the brain... it really was beautiful.... :(
how is the copperband doing?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
teebone110 link said:
Sweet 8)

Is this the new tank you stole off of Kijiji in Toronto? Looks like you found a good one!

ya it wasnt terrible, but the tank does have a fair amount of scratches which i find extremly irritating the more i look at....
oh well when i move into my own house ill get something bigger :D

G

Gietz

i see all these big tanks and it makes me wanna upgrade my 55 gallon lol  Nice setup

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
ya it is... but its a piece of crap.. i actually have an air pump running on the air intake hose because it doesnt suck air...
it still works but i am planning an upgrade sooner than later

spyd

Super Active Member
Smart decision! Those Coralife skimmers don't seem to work right for anyone... On a 180G, I would certainly be a little skeptical. The tank looks great though!

I would stay away from a Cow Fish. Their skin is poisonous and if threatened, they release it into the water and will wipe out your tank. As for the Raccoon Butterfly... I love them, but they eat corals.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
tank update:
built a canopy:
still tweeking my automatic fish feeder

added some more live rock
added 5 blue -green chromis and a naso tang

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
haha, yeah... i just dont know to much about coral so im getting into it veryyy slowly :) i would love to have some hard corals though.... i have mainly softies now...

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
heres a clip of my tank as of a month or so ago... i have changed the aquascaping since this video and will post another one shortly
Again, im a 'noob' to cameras and film making so forgive and flaws :)
thanks

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
This week for the group buy I ordered 1800ml of bio pellets and 4lbs of GFO, i also order 2 maxxijet 1200's to power my reactors.
i have a Vertex Aquastick reactor thats driven by a mag 3 that will be running the Bio Pellets on my 180 display tank.
I have an canister reactor that i will run my gfo in, powered by 1 maxijet 1200.

I'm also sourcing a new skimmer. I have my eye on a Bubble Magus 180 CS used. I think i might take the leap.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
So, as of last night I no longer have a display tank. The buyer picked it up :)
That empty space is short lived however because today I'm headed up to Toronto to pick up a 150g system. Not much of a downgrade I know but it's too good of a deal to pass up!
Ill post pics of it before we take it apart, and the process of setting it up. The stand will need some alteration as its 8ft  tall and my ceilings are 7.5'. And
It also needs to be drilled.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
so i got the tank,
its not much of a downgrade, 48x24 x 30, so 150g... but i like the size
i need to alter the canopy? stand etc to get it to fit in my room but until then i would like to note a few things

i plan on running the following on the tank
GFO in a reactor, fed by a MJ 1200
BioPellets in a Vertex Reactor, fed by a Mag 3
SWC Skimmer 180
possibly a calcium reactor
48" 6 bulb (minimum) t5 light

the return will be a mag 18 with a sea swirl in the tank
the flow will be provided by the sea swirl and 2 korila? 1200's

any tips or thoughts while setting this up will be great. I really want to set it up as a 3 sided tank. Though space is limited i hope i can make it work.