Breeding Light Schedule

Granty

hey guys so I know this isn't really fragging/propogation but Ive been collecting afew rock flower anemones which breed sexually and so my question is what would be the best light schedule to promote breeding as I've ready that they breed on certain light cycles and need to be fed every day. My lighting is a 2 channel Chinese black box and 1 24w t5 bulb with a giesman purple chrome bulb that comes on with white channel. I turn on actinic when I wake and go to bed and whites come on automatically for about 8-10 hours. And info is highly appreciative.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 101

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
All that I've read is that they will spawn at each equinox and solstice even if the tank lighting isn't mimicking that cycle (not the only creatures that can do that...who knows how). You need enough to be sure that you have both males and females as they aren't hermaphrodites...and approaching spawning times heavy feeding and pumps and skimmers off at night when spawning is likely to happen....good luck...sounds interesting and not that hard with some attention.

Granty

How long can a pump be turned off for the tank to be ok as I only have one power head and it's a 30 gallon tank with no sump and no skimmers. I just do waterchanges to keep my parameters in check.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
How long can a pump be turned off for the tank to be ok as I only have one power head and it's a 30 gallon tank with no sump and no skimmers. I just do waterchanges to keep my parameters in check.
Actually that's the perfect set up for invert breeding....pumps off is necessary for sumps and skimmers and filter to keep the gametes from being sucked up and prevented from finding the females. Without a sump or skimmer you can just leave the circulation pumps on as they won't remove anything. Any canisters or HOB filters would have to be turned off when you are expecting a spawning event. Actually especially with a canister that would quickly go anaerobic you would be best to leave it running on a bucket of SW to keep it circulating while not running on the tank...or pick those times to take it offline e for a good cleaning...

Granty

Ok sweet I'll keep doing what I'm doing then and if I catch the spawning event I'll turkey baste the gamites onto the surrounding nems