Bring Corals Back From Merica

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
I thought there was a thread about this but I can't find it.

I've heard conflicting arguments on in the past... I'm headed to the states next weekend and planning on checking out a couple reef shops... does anyone have experience with bringing a coral or two back to Canada or 100% dont do it??

nelson

I was down in Buffalo a couple weeks ago. I was talking to one of the reef shops. He mentioned that it has a lot to do on the type of coral you are bringing back and what it is attached too. The guy said and I heard this elsewhere as well that you cannot bring any rock back into Canada. So no corals attached to rocks. I think some SPS and LPS might be a problem because of the stony base however I am not sure of this.

Nick James

All SPS and LPS are a no go. Softies, mushrooms and Zoas are ok, they are cnidarians and not corals. Some gorgs are ok. You better be able to prove what it is as a lot of customs officers won't know. Don't say the word coral.. it will get their backs up immediately. Call it by its name ie. zoanthid and it is a marine animal.. not a coral.

Check the online CITES list to confirm your specific animal before you bring it across.

Copperkills

Its risky so I wouldnt be dropping large amounts of moulah, be prepared to have it taken, but I have known some to cross and bring back some aquarium decoration and souvenirs after visiting an aquarium.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
I've been in the saltwater game for at least 8 yrs there was nothing in sarnia the only saltwater store closed after I got my first tank going all my rock 400 lbs came from live rock I have a mailbox over in port Huron a lot of fish and coral and supply's came from Detroit stores .. I usually just get no mire then 200 bucks per trip and show them the receipt ..there is a chance they will take yur purchases when yu cone back home ..that why the 200 limit