Bubble Coral

Winks

Website Affiliate
I have recently purchased a bubble coral. It is doing great in the DT. I did my research on them before I purchased it. I have since done more research and can only find information that says that coral has only one mouth. Today, and I've seen this on other days, the coral "pooped" . This I know is not unusual but it looks like this coral has at least 3 mouths. All 3 expelled the "poop" . I has noticed these mouths at night also when the bubbles go down and the feeding feelers come out. Does this make any sense to anyone? I have searched and searched and every place I find it says they only have one mouth.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Yes this is true they have only one mouth, but it is very possible you have some babies attached to the mother colony, this may be why you are seeing multiple mouths:)

Winks

Website Affiliate
Well I would be very happy having baby bubbles. It's not clear to me how they reproduce as I have read they could split somewhat like a mem does, others say no, others have no idea how they reproduce. All the mouths seem to be the same size. I will try to get a pic later tonight once it's bedtime for it to see if I can get a pic of the 3 mouths.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
There are 3 different species of bubble coral, depending on the one you have the skeletal base grows different and babies also "grow/bud" different for each species some cling on to the side of the mother colony eventually splitting away forming a new colony, some drop of attaching them selves to the substrate and then forming a new colony :)

Winks

Website Affiliate
OK!!!!! I'm kind excited about this. Have been doing more reading and, from what I read, it might take some time for a bud to split off, so I'm hoping this is the case and will be able to see it happen.

Winks

Website Affiliate
I managed to get a pic. Let me know what you think
2017-06-03 21.46.03.jpg

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
I believe you have some budding babies in there, was the coral ever in disteress, sometimes for survival corals will split to save the colony or it could just be budding out to make new ones :)

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
About 6 months ago this bubble had some distress when I added Carbon to the tank to try to get my parameters under control. I almost lost it:( As soon as I removed the carbon it began to recover and had been doing very well ever since. After that I stuck to just my Vodka dosing and stopped trying so hard to get my water parameters under control. My corals thrived after that.

Winks

Website Affiliate
Yes this was one of yveterinian's corals. It is doing very well in it's new home. I love watching it and it looks so happy where it is.