Buffing splashguard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seggsy

I am helping a friend set up a little biocube, and the splashguard is a little yellowed and really cloudy.  Is there a cheap easy fix for this?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
its plastic? I would use the plastx car wax they have for foggy headlamps, available everywhere car stuff is sold. works great on plexi, I've done a few sets of lights, and the windscreen on my bike and with a bit of elbow grease you can get it looking like new.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The light splash guard on my 24 nano-cube is glass and yellowed a little as well, would be interested in knowing what might clear it up, mind you the LED's manage to penetrate through pretty well.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
if its glass I cant see a bit of rubbing alcohol and a dish scrubber pad not getting it clean, I didn't think it was possible for glass to do that.. home depot has the plexi/lexan/cellcast in small thin sheets for really cheap, acrylic is also clearer that glass, maybe that's the way to go.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke link said:
if its glass I cant see a bit of rubbing alcohol and a dish scrubber pad not getting it clean, I didn't think it was possible for glass to do that.. home depot has the plexi/lexan/cellcast in small thin sheets for really cheap, acrylic is also clearer that glass, maybe that's the way to go.

The only negative to lexan/acrylic is that is sags over time.  I had thick 1/4" pieces over the 3 openings on my DT and without fail it would sag.  On the other hand, I did notice that glass would tend to 'etch' a bit easier, I've talked to a glass dude and he said that it would depend on the production strength of the glass.  Sort of why my new sliding patio door got scratched to hell from my dog but the old one upstairs doesn't scratch at all. 

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Try turtle wax rubbing compound  (crappy tire has it).  The rubbing compound is water based contains no wax and leaves no residue (meant to be used in-between coats of laquer or to buff out scratches). The grit is ultra fine and about the same hardness as glass just rub it in straight lines so you don't leave swirl marks to buff out. I have been playing with substances to take the etched areas out of the back of my 180 and this stuff is the best option I've found for glass.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
jysanesy.jpg

Going to give it a go on my cube

Status
Not open for further replies.