Bulkhead Questions

GanderGreg

Hello all,

I have a threaded bulkhead that measures a little under 2" inside diameter. Is that a 1.5"? Also, the only threaded fittings i can find are strainers. How can i use an elbow on a threaded bulkhead?

Thanks.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
5798eeaa3cc3d31be805dac2ac970be3.jpg

Last edited:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The inside diameter is the pipe or fitting size you need. This would fit 1 1/2" fittings. When I work with threaded bulkheads, I get what is called a 6" 'nipple'. In this case, you would get a 6" 1 1/2"nipple. That would be a 6" pipe that has a 1 1/2" diameter and is threaded on both ends. I then cut the nipple in half so that I can thread the pipe into either end and add slip fittings as needed.

cpvc-nipple-long_15.jpg

heath

Distinguished Member
sometimes or most of the time the plumbing is like a jigsaw puzzle and my rule of thumb is, if you think you need 6 order 10, in my case it has helped out other reefers...

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
You can get 90 elbows that are male thread/slip...standard pool piece in 1.5". You're in London, try splashworks off Sarnia Rd in the west or Plasco in the east. I'm not sure if I have any in my collection...how many do you need?

GanderGreg

I will try plasco as I have moved to st thomas. Thanks adinfinitum! Now i hope there is enough room in my overflow box to work lol. I'll need 4 elbows in total for the 2 drains.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Pipes

Plasco is a great place, but they have a minimum order now. Call ahead. A gate valve would be a great addition to your full siphon drain. Much easier to set than a ball valve, and they are now stocking them in 1 1/2" and 1 1/4".

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Plasco is a great place, but they have a minimum order now. Call ahead. A gate valve would be a great addition to your full siphon drain. Much easier to set than a ball valve, and they are now stocking them in 1 1/2" and 1 1/4".
How much is the minimum order now?

Pipes

How much is the minimum order now?
I think it was $15. There is a minimum for debit/credit cards for sure. Just happened to notice it out of the corner of my eye. Didn't matter at the time, as I was picking up a box of parts, pipe, and 2 gate valves.

I was ribbing the warehouse guy about fish people coming in (because I'm one of them). His comment was that he wished people knew what they were looking for before they came in. Parts wise. He said it was frustrating, as some people come in, don't know how many or what fittings they need, or how much pipe they need. Especially at closing time. So if someone was going there, I would recommend you think and plan through what you need, how much you need, and phone an order in. Possibly pay by credit card, then pick it up. The warehouse guys are "under the gun" to pick, ship, and order supplies for their major customers (the ones spending thousands of dollars a month). They don't mind selling to the public, but they don't have time to help someone figure out how many Ts, 45s, 90s and what length of pipe, or size they need. Nor do they like it when the floor or counter top is used for assembly layout. I understand, as I use to work in a hardware store. I guess the point is they would like to help, but also have things they have to do, and only a certain amount of time to get it done. So please keep that in mind when you go in - Have a plan, a drawing, a material list, and know your sizes.