Camping Hammock With Bugnet And Algonquin

Hammock or tent what would you prefer

• Total voters

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well got bored a month ago and decided to sew up a hammock with bugnet for the wife and one for me. I sure am glad I didn't spend 200+ dollars on one from a store that still would need suspension. This baby saved me tons and sure is comfy. The wife's is 8ft because she's short and mine is 11ft because I'm a giant and even the pup spent a night in it with me so I know it will hold 265lb all night. I will never go back to a tent on the cold lumpy uneven ground as long as I live :D
image.jpeg The wife's
image.jpeg Mine

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Looks cool but I'd be afraid of the local racoons crawling into bed with ya...lol.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Looks cool but I'd be afraid of the local racoons crawling into bed with ya...lol.

Ya don't gotta worry much bout coons with a pup thats half corso half shepherd lol he thinks they are chew toys :) besides I'm due for a new Davey Crockett hat so "here cooney cooney coon" Lol. The real test will be the 8 day solo portage in Algonquin with no pup just me the moose and the Bears. Will be the best birthday and thanksgiving ever and get some great pics during peak leaf turn time. If a coon comes into camp your doing something wrong anyway lol. My food is always hanging 100 ft away

Last edited:

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Ya don't gotta worry much bout coons with a pup thats half corso half shepherd lol he thinks they are chew toys :) besides I'm due for a new Davey Crockett hat so "here cooney cooney coon" Lol. The real test will be the 8 day solo portage in Algonquin with no pup just me the moose and the Bears. Will be the best birthday and thanksgiving ever and get some great pics during peak leaf turn time. If a coon comes into camp your doing something wrong anyway lol. My food is always hanging 100 ft away
I did a 7 day portage through Algonquin many years ago... it was a blast. About 15 guys went. The guy who set of the trip... was head of the opp swat at the time. So he had a little protection brought along. Never saw any bears but that fall in the same area we camped a couple was mauled and killed by a bear.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Looks good. Great time of year to be out in the bush. Get some pics!
Not sure I could talk the wife into the hammock.

It's not a tippy Canadian tire or Costco lol if you lay on an angle it actually lays flat. And you can't flip it or fall out. Although if drunk you might get trapped in hahahaha :)

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
It's not a tippy Canadian tire or Costco lol if you lay on an angle it actually lays flat. And you can't flip it or fall out. Although if drunk you might get trapped in hahahaha :)
So... of you do get stuck in this contraption you must post some pics on tft... :D

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Well I survived Algonquin due to the weather I hit the western uplands backpacking trail 64 km loop instead of a portage with the canoe but in peak leaf turn it was absolutely beautiful. I think I know where I'm heading end of September beginning of October next year :). Anywhooo this is how guskewau lake and thunder lake were looking in the morning.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Awesome buddy that's great Algonquin park is such a beautiful area. I wish I could do a portage through there again but my knee is shot so I'm out on that one... glad ya had a great trip

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I was up at North t just a few weeks ago on a canoe trip. Beautiful time of the year to go out.
Only problem is it ruins the summer being all green lmao fall just puts the icing on the cake.... I'm eyeing 100+ acres surrounded by 800+ acres of crown land outside of Timmins. Should make for amazing bear and moose hunting, plus is a unorganized township so only permit needed is for septic :)

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
If I get the time I want to go back for a weekend with the canoe but leaves are starting to drop fast up there. Maybe I'll do a winter backpack trek. Need to give my -20 sleeping bag and new under quilt a try. I know in -5 I was sweating without my underquilt lol

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
glad you enjoyed it and the pictures are beautiful, my only question is; " is there a Holiday Inn close by? "
Best western, motel 6, super 8, holiday inn and a bunch of others are in Huntsville only 30-45 min away from west gate. Day permits are cheap but needed if stopping anywhere in the park. Just the drive along Hwy 60 is nice as well. Or go to the website and see the live webcam of the park from the visitor centre. It's a pretty sweet view

heath

Distinguished Member
Best western, motel 6, super 8, holiday inn and a bunch of others are in Huntsville only 30-45 min away from west gate. Day permits are cheap but needed if stopping anywhere in the park. Just the drive along Hwy 60 is nice as well. Or go to the website and see the live webcam of the park from the visitor centre. It's a pretty sweet view

that my idea of roughing it...:)

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
If all goes well I'm going back for a 4 day 3 night hike. Over half the leaves have fallen up north now but still will be great. As a plus it will be easier to spot a moose in the distance with less leaves. One day ill afford a new set of snowshoes and try a winter run for a week :)