Camping Hammock With Bugnet And Algonquin

Hammock or tent what would you prefer

• Total voters

SamB

Super Active Member
Great idea Steve
Question: does the hammock / net combo reduce carry in weight for those long portages or about the same as one of the new style 2 person tents ?
When I was doing the canoeing back in ancient times the tent poles were awkward and took up space but now the modern tents are so light so maybe it's not a factor
Just wanted your professional opinion - thanks

Josh

My hammock which I take into the interior weigh's and takes up little to no room. I'm not sure I would want to sleep in it every night. The wind blows under the hammock and it freezes your back side. If you have ever gotten a cold in your back it is not a happy time. One of our guys brings a hammock tent every year and the bottom is insulated and he still brings 2 sleeping bags.

Having a windbreak setup would definitely help with this.

That being said we go in the 2nd week of Sept so it is a bit colder at night.

Most mornings i wakeup at at 5 to 6 and go down to the water with my sleeping bag and setup my hammock to watch the sun come up while everyone else sleeps until 9

sLAsh

We looked into hammocks for our venturer company and weight wise three hammocks were a little more than the 4 man elcap tents we bring.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Great idea Steve
Question: does the hammock / net combo reduce carry in weight for those long portages or about the same as one of the new style 2 person tents ?
When I was doing the canoeing back in ancient times the tent poles were awkward and took up space but now the modern tents are so light so maybe it's not a factor
Just wanted your professional opinion - thanks
I personally love it plus you get a great view while laying down. The ones I make are about 3 lbs and that's hammock, suspension, pegs and a tarp! Size is a bit bigger than a football but smaller than a rolled sleeping bag without the tarp. What I like is no more cold lumpy uneven ground and zero chance of flooding in heavy rain! I had a few occasions where heavy rain turned into a river through my tent lmao. Plus I'm skinny as hell so I feel every lump and bump even with a mat lol.

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
My hammock which I take into the interior weigh's and takes up little to no room. I'm not sure I would want to sleep in it every night. The wind blows under the hammock and it freezes your back side. If you have ever gotten a cold in your back it is not a happy time. One of our guys brings a hammock tent every year and the bottom is insulated and he still brings 2 sleeping bags.

Having a windbreak setup would definitely help with this.

That being said we go in the 2nd week of Sept so it is a bit colder at night.

Most mornings i wakeup at at 5 to 6 and go down to the water with my sleeping bag and setup my hammock to watch the sun come up while everyone else sleeps until 9

I use mine in January for winter camping and use -20 bag with 10 degree inside the -20 and e blanket or underquilt. Cool spring or fall put an emergency blanket or a sleeping pad under you and you won't get that cold or better yet a down underquilt. Underquilts are pretty much needed in cooler temps since your sleeping bag insulation is compressed but hey you get cold butt on the ground as well. At least there's no lumps or uneven grade or water flooding in during heavy rains. I found one sleeping bag and a self inflating sleep pad work great in really cool weather. Winter tho you absolutely need an underquilt. 2 bags and e blanket only get you to about -25 tops.... With underquilt I've slept comfortably at -35. How you set up your tarp also helps reduce the wind. Cold nights I keep it close and sides down, warm it's almost flat with one side slightly angled down to get that breeze when needed.

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
We looked into hammocks for our venturer company and weight wise three hammocks were a little more than the 4 man elcap tents we bring.
Tents are always better for larger groups any more than 3 hammocks it becomes a pain to set everyone up without being scattered.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I'm planning an end of summer canoe trip in either Killarney or Algonquin and planning a winter snowshoe trip but have not decided where yet if anyone is interested in coming along.

Josh

yeah for sure the tarp is what i meant by a windbreak. windshield etc etc

i bought a liner for my sleeping bag this yr, couple cold nights last year.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
yeah for sure the tarp is what i meant by a windbreak. windshield etc etc

i bought a liner for my sleeping bag this yr, couple cold nights last year.
Fill a bottle with hot water and get a neoprene cover for it. You will never be cold again lol. That's what I do in winter that way I have a warm water bottle all night and a hot drink!

sLAsh

If you are looking for a change try the yurts in Killarney. Did it a couple of years ago with friends that would never winter camp otherwise. Snow shoeing through the day and drinking, playing cards in a warm yurt in the evening.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
for the skeeters just use a thermacell.
amazing unit, i can sit in a swamp in the middle of june and not get a single bite.
i have one for fishing and love it but they are so thick in there it didnt work well enough and still got eaten alive. even my 8 hr muskol 90% only kept them away for a few hours.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
If you are looking for a change try the yurts in Killarney. Did it a couple of years ago with friends that would never winter camp otherwise. Snow shoeing through the day and drinking, playing cards in a warm yurt in the evening.
im too cheap to rent a yurt lmao. thats why my buddy got a hot tent. he isnt a fan of cold camping. he slept the night in a 0 degrre bag lmao.