Can bubbletip anenomes smother eachother out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Just wondering if a bubbletip anemones tenticles are overtop of another bubbletip if it can kill out one of them? Or will the one covered just move?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
im up to 11 on 2 rocks. when they are fully open you cant see the rock they just make room for each other by stretching further off the rocks to make room.

chuckm

When BTA's split and new clones are produced, especially in a cluster, I have 10+ rose tips, flame tips  on 1 rock and other forms(purple/flamethrower/and green close by to this, however when they are in a close group formation they will not kill one another, they will "push out" smaller anemones which forces them to move.  I usually harvest 2-3 rose tips every 8-10 weeks out from there. i just place lace or porous rock nearby, then pull out the rock with clones attatched.  The thing is when they are all packed together as Duke mentioned they cannot expand to their full potential.  But if they are in aplace where they are happy i would leave well enough alone. ;)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
chuckm link said:
When BTA's split and new clones are produced, especially in a cluster, I have 10+ rose tips, flame tips  on 1 rock and other forms(purple/flamethrower/and green close by to this, however when they are in a close group formation they will not kill one another, they will \"push out\" smaller anemones which forces them to move.  I usually harvest 2-3 rose tips every 8-10 weeks out from there. i just place lace or porous rock nearby, then pull out the rock with clones attatched.  The thing is when they are all packed together as Duke mentioned they cannot expand to their full potential.  But if they are in aplace where they are happy i would leave well enough alone. ;)

good advice, I find all they are really looking for when moving is a nice place to hide/put their foot, if they find one they usually will stay there, I can always tell the day one is going to split because it will get up and move out of their spot which is abnormal for them to do in my tank unless they are splitting, right now I would say my cluster is nearing maximum size.. If I had say 20 on these rocks instead of 11, I also agree that the smaller ones would constantly be on the move around the cluster looking for that spot that they are never going to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.