Can Zoanthids Come Back?

Dave Dobson

A while back I had a descent bunch of zoas with 2 large heads and several small ones but my tank went bad and the large heads turned brown and everything else seemed to die off. I have since split off the large heads which still seem to be alive but are still very brown - when I split them off I noticed several very small buds that were just kind of a translucent light purple so I left them be as they did have actual heads on them, just very small and they do appear to open and shut. Is there a chance these will come back and thrive again?

Heywooood

Given good parameters, I have found zoas to be crazy resilient. I've scraped them off rocks for fragging and left a tiny little grey blotch behind that I didn't notice until a polyp popped out of it a month later.
I've also had bunches melt right beside others that are thriving, so who knows ;)

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the input - I was going to see what happens regardless, just wondering if anyone had a similar experience. thanks!
i have a bunch of different kinds thriving at one poinft for some unknown reason one colony of 5 heads melted away but long as there is a peice of tissue left thats alive it should regrow.... the browning is probably a lighting issue most likely wrong spectrum but a lack of iodide and magnesium also makes them lose colour