canister filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

harleymike

Super Active Member
Trying too figure out what too put in my canister filter.
Its a 60 gal with 60 pounds of live rock and 60 pounds of live sand.
The cansister has foam, then carbon, then bio balls, then ceramic noodle things, then more foam.
I am confused as too what too do with it. I asked a similar question before. But im still a little mixed up.
Some say dump the bio balls and ceramic things. What should i put in it. Something for phosphates.
Thanks for the hellp
sorry about asking again
mike

harleymike

Super Active Member
ok after further research. I am going too take out the bioballs and noodle things. Leave in the foam and carbon and add purigen. Phosban in the other tray.
What do you guys think.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
doesnt sound like a terrible idea, but make sure to keep the floss clean, you dont want a nitrate trap of any kind

J

jones02

Ditch the floss! Just carbon and LR or just make the tannk innto a freshwater tank. Canister is a VERY bad aidea for long tearm. Make sure u openn it up and clean it every waterchange

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
jones02 link said:
Ditch the floss! Just carbon and LR or just make the tannk innto a freshwater tank. Canister is a VERY bad aidea for long tearm. Make sure u openn it up and clean it every waterchange

I am curious, why might it be a bad idea?

I can see the obvious reasons of a nitrate trap but that could be avoided by routine maintenance.

Is that what your referring to or is there another reason?

J

jones02

What is the reason for it? U can't have anything it it? If you can't hjave a sump do a HOB skimmer and HOB fuge. Canister filter doesn't put any oxygen in the water, traps everything. There a waste of money for a salt tank.

J

jones02

There made to house bacteria, and that's y u have ur live rock and sand inn ur tank. So when you take out everything that trapes stuff to make all ur nitrates out. What's the point thenn? Basicly have it for water movement and nnot very much at that. Expensive power head that's going to make problems down the road.  And your carbon isn't goig to be annywhere near afective as a fluid reactor. If you want to run carbon just use a duel reactor hiding behind the tank.

J

jones02

$200 carbonn reactor basicly why u want a canister filter? Pretty stupid wat to spend money if u ask me.

harleymike

Super Active Member
In hindsite the cansiter filter wasnt the best idea. But I wanted a clean look. It sites in my liveing room right below my tv.
I dont have room for a sump. So the canister filter works best for me.
I am only trying too make it work. 
Im also new at it. So I didnt know about the reactor idea.
i agree with brandon. As long as it is maintained, it should be good. And I can use a couple of the trays for  houseing  things like purigen.
I baought it on sale for 100 bucks, so its not that bad.
mike

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have merged your recent posts with your old topic about the canister filter. For others, this also mentions that this is a FOWLR predator tank. I hope reading through the previous posts helps clarify harleymike's plan for this non reef tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.