Cerium Oxcide... Glass Polish

noobwithatank

Anone ever polish a used aquarium. The one I bought has a few small scratches and a small area of cloudy glass. I have tried razer blades vinegar lemon juice etc. I can't feel either with my fingers. The razer blades can feel the cloudy area. It feels like sand or grit. I am thinking of using a product called bar keepers friend for the cloudy area. So I'll see what happens.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Barkeepers friend is just oxalic acid so heavy duty scale remover worth a try...available at Reno places just under the chemical name. But chances are that if soaking with vinegar didn't touch it then it is a spot where Coraline grew and etched into the glass surface in which case cesium compound and a LOT!!! of elbow grease is what is required unless you have a proper DA polisher to do some of the work for you.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Yes it does work. Lots of time and elbow grease. I don't recommend doing it without a variable speed buffer.

Take your time, don't let the glass get too warm and order lots of cerium oxide. You'll need it. I'm probably not "local" to you. Or I'd just sell you the rest of mine.

Sony Xperia Z3

Kman

Super Active Member
It is good enough if you don't have the funds but it would really depend on how good a job you do and how bad the scratches were originally.