Cheap Fool Proof Auto top-off No electricity required!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
This is a really clever ATO (auto top up) that was made by a member of ultimatereef.net and best of all doesn't require any electricity so it won't fail.

First of all, you need a food safe container with a "snap-on" lid.

I then drill a hole on one side to take a 90 degree connector. Install plumbing as needed...blah blah blah. Silicone or use a rubber washer to ensure a water tight seal (VERY important!).

Then measure the distance from the connector to the surface of the water in the sump and cut a piece of plastic pipe. This pipe is inserted into the tank connector. The pipe is sufficiently tight fit to be waterproof, glue into place.

Before you use it, you need to make sure that air cannot enter the container by any route other than the end of the pipe. Otherwise the water will just leak into the tank.

I altered the original project as they were just covering the hole with their finger to stop the water from flowing while inserting into the tank. I will add a shut off so after you open the valve the first time, the pipe will fill with water, then close the valve, open the lid and top off the top off  ::). Seal the top off tank and open the valve. As long as you have a seal tight container, water will not flow until the water level drops below the hole in the pipe allowing air to go up in the pipe and water down it. Once the water level rises above the hole, no more water will be added.

Let me know what you think!?!?!

Original Pic                                                                With adaptions

2sbtjiv.jpg
bhkb4z.jpg

Example of the original installed in a sump

34gr2gi.jpg

P

patrickborowski

I love this idea, since I have to add water every single freaking day.....(lol)  I am going to have to get a container like that. Where can you get one like that and how muc hwould it be?

P

patrickborowski

Well this would not work with a garbage pail just because the pail lid is not airtight. They do have snap on ones but not air tight. I just came back from walmart hoping they would have a large enought container..... but they dont even sell airtight containers..... great

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I plan on doing a supersize version of the above project using a 18.5L water jug. Once sump is up and running, will be building a rig above it to hold the jug much like it is installed on a water cooler. Will post my work when I do it.

As for where you can find a container, you can get the snap tight at Walmart, Zellers, and some grocery stores. Like the others have said, using just a container won't top off larger tanks unless you are going to fill the container every day or 2. Will have to monitor how much top off you are already using. 

P

patrickborowski

Also, I was reading about this some more, but some of the saltwater will mix in with the fresh water, so the salinty will change and try to even out. I have red about people doing something like this with not an air tight, but using a mechanical auto topper, so that the water wont mix. If anyone is considering making onre soon, please let us know how it goes. I'm going to be looking for a mechanical auto topper.

G

garfield

I'm just a newbie but a fellow once gave me an idea for one of my ponds(koi) for auto top up. He suggested something very simple. Now for me it might work because I am on a well and not sure about you guys with RO but is there any way to attach a simple toilet float valve to a system? This would not require electricity. Just asking.[/color]

M

marks69

for my res i used a float from a humidifier.  drilled it into the side of a Rubbermaid tote and it works fine

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The container does need to be air tight. The only air that can be allowed to enter the container would be from when the water level drops low enough that the vent hole allows air up the pipe into the container. Simple science to it is that the water will not come down the pipe until there is something to replace it. If you use something other then a 100% air tight container will allow unwanted air into the system and allow water to freely come down the pipe.

Marks post would work as well. Was debating on a simlar float idea. I mostly want to get away from extra electronical methods.

P

patrickborowski

Yes this will work, but my only concern is that the water will begin to merge, both fresh and saltwater because of them touching

S

Salty1

I add approximately 2.5 gallons 1-2 times a week. The big question I have is what people due about the excessive moisture within their house/apartment? My 6' tank is run open with the 30 gallon below.

C

Cal_stir

in the winter you need the humidity, the humidistat on your furnace will prevent the humidifier from working if the humidity gets too hi, in the summer your a/c will remove the humidity, if you don't have a/c then you need to run a dehumidifier.

F

fishit

i have a 110gal 30gal sump and had to go get a dehumidifier from sears 350$ f?$%k me but ya i have to run it all year round in the winter the moister collects on the windoes like nobodies business

S

stellarflare

Hi All, I am not sure where the locations you live, if there is a Princess Auto Store near you but they have a pressure sealed medium sized plastic Barrel that could be utilized into a auto top-off or even for a stand alone DIY Canister Filter from the looks of it, It could be a 25 liter size. Next time I'm there I will check out its exact volume. On a second note I picked up a float valve at home Depot for a humidifier for $10.00 for a non pressurized application. Hope this helps for different DIY ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.