Cheapo Wavemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
looking at it, I bet they work pretty good, one thing that would worry me is how loud is it going to be, and how long is the pump going to last? but for 100$ does it really matter if it only lasts a few years?  I've read people worrying about their tanks, but ALOT of people use waveboxes and i havent read any specific instance where a tank let go because of one. I have a tunze box and I really like it, as far as going without powerheads, I don't thing the box itself is enough flow for me, it would probably be ok in a softie tank, but I still think the directional flow of powerheads is still needed.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
This is a little more then $100. There is additional 72$ in shipping and from Hong Kong with no company/manufacturer information. That part has me nervous, buying something like this and putting in the tank is just screaming voltage leaking into the tank. There is also no recommendations like tank size etc. Not enough information available for the product, cheap or not, I would not get one. Go the extra bit and get a small Tunze.

Seggsy

I think next step up would be a fish street - KrazyKarl has one and it seems pretty good.  I am only looking for my 75g tank, and I know how much Kyle has his dialed down on a much smaller tank.

I think I will ask the manufacturer about size, noise, and pump specs - would like as small a footprint as possible.  This would be $175ish, Fish Street $250ish (if I recall right) and Tunze.....way more.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Torx link said:
This is a little more then $100. There is additional 72$ in shipping and from Hong Kong with no company/manufacturer information. That part has me nervous, buying something like this and putting in the tank is just screaming voltage leaking into the tank. There is also no recommendations like tank size etc. Not enough information available for the product, cheap or not, I would not get one. Go the extra bit and get a small Tunze.

I paid less for my Tunze box than either of those cheap ones, mind u it was used but still in like new shape. I didn't notice it was 75 bucks extra to ship it.

Seggsy

I generally buy used (can't think of a single item in my tank I bought new, other than bulbs), but I haven't seen waveboxes come up too often.  Might have to troll kijiji province wide and see what I can do.  Tunze would obviously be preferable if $ wasn't in question.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Seggsy link said:
I generally buy used (can't think of a single item in my tank I bought new, other than bulbs), but I haven't seen waveboxes come up too often.  Might have to troll kijiji province wide and see what I can do.  Tunze would obviously be preferable if $ wasn't in question.

I found mine on AP, the guy was really good to deal with, he shipped it to me and I payed email money transfer and covered the shipping cost, I ended up with the nano for less than 200 all said and done.

chrisstevens

Website
flybikes.wixsite.com
I saw these awhile ago too, was kinda sketched out as the don't say anything about any specs or rating for them. And the pump is probably not great quality. search for DIY wave box, guys were making there own with tunze pumps and making there own controller theres a whoe write up somewhere on AP.

Seggsy

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Not looking for a DIY, and the one on MI reefers is too far away.  But I am going to try and scoop the one in TO - got a relative coming down at Christmas - if he can grab it, then merry Christmas to me!

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
There's one in Acton...I went to pick it up since it was advertised as a 6215 (at a higher price..) turned out to be a nano.  If I knew what they were going to reduce the price to after I left, I would have taken it, since someone would have wanted it... :(

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-90-Gallon-Tank-light-wave-box-sump-accessories-W0QQAdIdZ434494334

Fish street hasn't been shipping their waveboxes for a while now (patent issues supposedly).  All the Chinese knockoffs use the same DC Resun pump...not a Tunze but......lots of people have them.

I like the look of the new 6208 mid-sized, lower priced wavebox.  Not cheap but easier to handle than 6 bills.

Duh...wanted to post the link right away and didn't see Duke already had it...

Seggsy

Anyone going Toronto way want to pick this up for me?  He doesn't want to ship.  Was trying to get a buddy to pick it up, but it hasn't worked out yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.