China Black Box Led Par Readings

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Since I am not going to have my new tank ready for corals in time for Fragfest, I decided that I needed to upgrade my temporary frag system. I will post some pics later...but I decided to get one of the popular full spectrum Chinese led's to see what they were like. $135 to my door in 7 days, shipped from Mississauga.

My first impression is that the current generation are brighter than the pizza box led's I have seen in the past. The Epileds blues are definitely not as deep blue or crisp looking as Luxeon Rebels or Crees that I have played with, but compare well to some older Bridgelux emitters I have.

After I hung the fixture up I took a quick reading with my Apogee Quantum PAR meter and was pleasantly surprised. The fixture is currently 24" above the egg crate on the bottom of the frag tank which has 9" of water over it.

PAR at the egg crate was 220 with just blues, 185 with just the whites plus and 405 with both on 100%. With the fixture that high the number was the same anywhere under the light and with very little fall off just outside. I didn't look at the extreme corners but will take a closer look at spread when I get a chance. 12" under the light (not under water) it read 485 blues, 384 whites plus and 865 for all. Those numbers include the 10% calibration correction for blue leds.

With the blues at full and the others at minimum you get a nice 15000k look and just over 300 PAR at the bottom of the frag tank. Any higher on the whites washes out the blues and starts to look too white/yellow to my eye.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I found a par reading on reddit for them, this is the only par reading I've been able to find on them, just click on the (400 par measurements of Mars Aqua)

https://m.reddit.com/r/ReefTank/comments/2whsp2/400_par_measurements_of_mars_aqua_165_watt_led/
He's obviously got way more time on his hands than me...lol. but the numbers look pretty similar to mine. I knew with their popularity that it was something that had been done...but since I have the meter, I wanted to see for myself....not that I don't trust internet data...big LOL

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yup, these cheap LEDs are better then people think. They are not mH or T5, but they are great for what they are. Truthfully, for the most part, a LED diode is and LED diode. They all share the same tech and patents. There was even a patent war between bridgelux and Cree a while back and the agreed to share basically. In essence, the only difference is the heatsink star they are attached to. Then people added cheap drivers thinking that it was the LED that were the issue.

Basically, this information does not surprise me, but it is great that someone known on the site took the time to test it for themselves knowing that the results are not affected through promotional discounts. The reason I love reviews here :)

heath

Distinguished Member
does anyone have any idea what the life span for the bulbs/light is, I had 3 of them and personally didn't like them and after I changed them out for the sun blasters my hydro dropped by almost 100.00 per mth.. now I ran them on a fowlr tank...

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
does anyone have any idea what the life span for the bulbs/light is, I had 3 of them and personally didn't like them and after I changed them out for the sun blasters my hydro dropped by almost 100.00 per mth.. now I ran them on a fowlr tank...
Life of all emitters run around 50000 hours assuming they are not overdriven or overheated. The true life span of fixtures ends up being based on the boards, power supplies etc...who knows?

Mine only draws 118 watts (borrowed cheapie kill a watt, no idea how accurate it is) so I'd look elsewhere for your power thief...

heath

Distinguished Member
that was the only thing that was changed other than adding a freezer to the mix and it was at the time when hydro rates increased...who knows...

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Life of all emitters run around 50000 hours assuming they are not overdriven or overheated. The true life span of fixtures ends up being based on the boards, power supplies etc...who knows?

Mine only draws 118 watts (borrowed cheapie kill a watt, no idea how accurate it is) so I'd look elsewhere for your power thief...
Where did you get it?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I was told that sps needs 400+ ANd everything else can survive lower then that . I have all my corals under about 400 par max and corals are about 20" -16" from the light .. For the past year I've tried watts , never had success with it :( that's why I turned the the kessils I think they are 35 or 45 wats for the 160 and put out 650-750 par about 15" from the light down . I had this tested at coral reef shop .

If I would have known about these and much well with the par it is I totally would have gotten them :( damn.. Could have saved myself $400.. Maybe bought more corals ;)