chloramine filtering and testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brubana

What are people doing for chloramine (in those areas that use it), and how often do you test your filtered water?
I understand that chloramine sickens some species at extremely low concentrations, and was wondering what kind of water setups are commonly used around here.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
there is a special ro filter set designed for chloramine filtering.. where in candada uses chloramine?

P

phi delt reefer

if you check out Bulk reef supply and spectrapure they have carbon block filters specifically designed for chloramine removal. I would contact your municipal works deptartment and confirm whether or not they use any chloraline/chloramine as part of their water treatment.

Z

Zakk

I have heard that parts of Toronto do use chloramine, but that was a few years back.  They thought they might have to do it in London too, when they put that pipe into Lake ontario, also known as the 'mexico city of the great lakes'  ;D

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
c/p from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis

Reef aquariums

Many reef aquarium keepers use reverse osmosis systems for their artificial mixture of seawater. Ordinary tap water can often contain excessive chlorine, chloramines, copper, nitrogen, phosphates, silicates, or many other chemicals detrimental to the sensitive organisms in a reef environment. Contaminants such as nitrogen compounds and phosphates can lead to excessive, and unwanted, algae growth. An effective combination of both reverse osmosis and deionization (RO/DI) is the most popular among reef aquarium keepers, and is preferred above other water purification processes due to the low cost of ownership and minimal operating costs. Where chlorine and chloramines are found in the water, carbon filtration is needed before the membrane, as the common residential membrane used by reef keepers does not cope with these compounds.

B

brubana

All of Toronto uses chloramine, as does any municipality north of Toronto that uses Toronto water.

Status
Not open for further replies.