chris's 200 gal build

chrisstevens

Website
flybikes.wixsite.com
Well i picked up a 200gal, 80'' x 24" x 24" to build into my new mixed reef tank. It has on corner overflow that is split into 2 sections one hosing 2 1" drains and the other housing 2 3/4" returns. I  first started off by re-enforcing the inside of the stand with some 2x4 frame just for my own peice of mind. i then did a test fill and had now leaks. After draining the tank i decided to reseal the inside as some of the silicone was not looking so great. I then cut some of the rear work trim at the back top of the tank so it would fit under neath the window sill. The tank also came with a hood with built in fans which i decided not to use for the time being as it would be blocking some of the window and wouldn't look right. Ever since i seen neo's basement sump build i always knew that that was what i was going to do when i got a larger tank. So lucky for me the is a cold return vent in the baseboard right behind the the overflow end of the tank so i can run my piping straight down to the basement where i am going to setup my sump.
101_4333.jpg
101_4332.jpg
101_4334.jpg
101_4335.jpg

I then purchased an ro/di unit from bulk reef supply and a 44gal Brute rubbermaid for mixing water (no more buying water :)).
101_4330.jpg

I then decided that the 50 gal sump tank i got with the aquarium was going to be to small for my plans  so i opted for a 75 gal instead, and installed some baffles. (still have to drill the side for my return).
101_4353.jpg

I then started building a stand for my sump setup and have gotten this far.
101_4331.jpg

Earlier this week i ordered a reeflo barracuda gold return pump, marine sources 1600 protein skimmer, 100lbs of dry rock, 2 200gal salt mixes and 160lbs of sand  for IA, so that i can finish getting it setup and to hopefully start cycling it. I also plan on trying my hand at polishing the glass a bit once my cerium oxide arrives.

chrisstevens

Website
flybikes.wixsite.com
Haven't decided on which power heads i'm going to use yet i Should be able to get decent flow from the reeflo pump,thinking about 6 nozzles or so throughout the tank. Lightning will be temperary till i can get some money together to do a led build. Temp lighting will be 2 250watt guissieman MH's with a 36 inch 4 bulb t5 fixture in the middle.

S

Siderjan

Tank & stand look better in person.  Can't wait to see it full of life!

chrisstevens

Website
flybikes.wixsite.com
Well i have been slowly working away at setting up the tank and haven't been updating the thread, so here is a big update. As of today i finally have water circulating. I decided i did not want to run my return lines up through my overflow so i turned the 2 3/4 lines into drains/emergency drains, the other 2 drains are 1 inch running full siphon valved back. My hammerhead gold hybrid pump is running the barracuda impeller wide open, and i have a total of 4 return nozzles in the tank. I still have to get some heaters and some powerheads, and eventually different lights and some more rock.

101_4363.jpg

101_4359.jpg

101_4360.jpg

101_4362.jpg

101_4364.jpg

F

Fraggle Rock

Looking pretty awesome. Going to be a great looking set up all around.
Any clue how your going to stock it? Fully SPS or Mixed Reef?

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
I love the way it looks with less rock. More flow with less restriction. No dead spots. Looks awesome.