Cleaning a used tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jscrimshaw

A while ago, I purchased a 120 gallon tank that was partially cleaned by the previous owner
As you can see by the pictures, i have alot more cleaning to do but there is one place that is going to be hard to clean and I need ideas.. There is a space between the inner and outer coner overflow wall that needs to be cleaned and I dont know what to use to clean it... Any ideas

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

J

jscrimshaw

I will be using vinegar to clean the tank but what I am asking is what i can use to get in between the space in the overflow to remove the crap after running vinegar through the system

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
nice tank, can you just remove the overflow panels themselves and reinstall them after you get everything clean? if you dont want to do that even just removing the piping inside the overflows should give you a bit of room.

dale

ya, take it apart , soak peices in vinigar- green scrubby- razor blade the rest- silicone back to gether - wait a day- fill to leach chems - drain next day- wait another day- continue with build. imo.

F

Fraggle Rock

Personally I wouldn't go as far as taking the overflow panel right off. I'd just tear all the guts out of it and get in there with some vinegar and elbow grease. Or better yet find someone with skinny arms to get in there and clean it for ya  ;)
A pet smart card works great for scraping all the heavy crap off once its soaked a little bit in vinegar.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
acetone :)
dries clean to nothing.  just try and keep from soaking silicone.... its what you use to clean the joints of a glass tank before siliconing the sides together...  never had an issue and leave a ultra clean surface..... just dont solak your hands in it:)

L

Liquid

Remove the pipes from inside the overflow, plug the bulkheads, and fill with RO and vinegar.  Wait ~5 hrs.  Use Stanley Razorblade from home depot to scrape as much off as you can, remove water and vinegar, and voila, mostly clean.  I dont know that you need to worry too much about getting it spotless; its just the overflow afterall.

Status
Not open for further replies.