Cleaning filter socks

Seasquirt

I use 200 micron filter bags, they last 4 days each and I use two at a time, I washed them inside out on hot cycle with half cup of bleach, a double rinse and let air dry. They smell slightly of bleach, are they safe to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasquirt

No, I’ll just go with them as is, it’s just a faint door, thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jason Bell

I wish they lasted 4 days, my typical routine is insert filter sock, clean the glass, stir the sand and put all Vortechs on clean. Within 8 hrs the sock overflows and that is that. I really should have tried harder for the Dreambox, that is the goal, but only source I found was around $7k USD which does come with a skimmer and dual media reactors. I did get 4 days from the 3x socks in the trigger sump.

Seasquirt

I wonder why is it that a sock doesn’t last a week at least, where is all of the gunk coming from? The rock or maybe the sand? Are we stirring it all up with our pumps? I’m useing two socks at a time so it’s worse than I said. One thing I know is that my sump is pretty darn clean, I ordered 10 more socks today, shorter and more efficient socks. I want that water rushing straight into them and that should be more efficient.

Jason Bell

I use only one on my main drain, but not all the time and sump gets dirty as all that stuff has to go someplace. I have a bucket head vac that I use for quick clean of the sump and that works well. Between the 15 or so fish, uneaten food and whatever else, it quickly adds up.

Seasquirt

I use only one on my main drain, but not all the time and sump gets dirty as all that stuff has to go someplace. I have a bucket head vac that I use for quick clean of the sump and that works well. Between the 15 or so fish, uneaten food and whatever else, it quickly adds up.

You said you replace the sock then stir your sand, I would think that a lot of that sand is being collected by your sock, I think I would stir the sand then once settled replace the sock and I’ll bet that would help, what size micron are you useing?

Jason Bell

I don't normally run a sock at all, I toss one in when I clean the tank, which for me is stirring the sand and cleaning the glass then running the pumps on clean cycle for 30 minutes. Within less than an hour it is crystal clean and by morning the sock is full, I don't mind, it does its job. I would just prefer the filter mat setup of the dream box, but until they get distribution in North America it is a dream for sure.

Jason Bell

I forgot, they are 200. I typically buy 10 at a time for $27 4"x8". My new order however 200 was not available and ended up with 150 micron.

Jason Bell

Where the hell you finding that deal ? I must be getting robbed lmao
Amazon, that is why I toss them out. I use 2 per week for cleaning $5.40. Not worth the wash/rinse cycle more so the evil stare from the GF as I go near the washer.

Seasquirt

I see, yes they are a pain for sure and I do run mine 24/7, 4 days in and I exchange them.

I had not used them in the past because they’re a pita. I have 10 and ordered another 10 from Amazon for 23 plus shipping so 30, I’m not sure how long they’ll last but I think it’s worth it in the long run. Mine are a mix of 200/150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk