Cleaning previsouly enjoyed tank??

Status
Not open for further replies.

quikcolin

Hi everyone,

I had a quick question.  I just purchased an Oceanic Biocube 14 that was in operation for roughly 1 year.  It has been sitting empty for a few months.

The tank has a little bit (sprinkle) of sand left in it, and has little white spots against the wall in the compartment where the protein skimmer fits and on the little black balls in the back (can you tell I'm new?? lol).  I just wanted to ask what everyone's advice would be in cleaning it... or if it requires a cleaning?  It looks super clean other than that, I would rate it a 9/10 without a scratch on it.  I just would hate to run into problems right out of the gate... espically if it was someting I could of avoided before getting started.

Any advice is apprecaited!

Colin

M

marks69

bleach, water. rinse a bunch and let dry.  if you can't smell it after that should be ok.  i would rinse several times.

quikcolin

marks69 link said:
bleach, water. rinse a bunch and let dry.  if you can't smell it after that should be ok.  i would rinse several times.

Would you suggest removing the filtration balls and soaking them in a bleach/water solution?  Do I need to scrub off those little white flecks off the balls and the inside of the rear compartments? Run the water pump through the same solution for a few minutes...

How much bleach to water should I mix?  What about using vinegar to clean it?

Thanks

S

shayneh

I would fill with water and dump a jug of vinegar in there and let it sit for a day or so. I personally don't trust bleach although I have heard of others doing just fine using it. I wouldn't use the bioballs again as they usually catch detritus and then become nitrate factories. I would just add some live rock rubble instead....

quikcolin

So you're suggesting scrapping the black balls in the middle chamber and replacing those with some rock?  I've ordered some eco-reefer rock... but it's not live.  Should I keep the black balls in the back, until my eco reefer rock is "live"?  then replace the black balls with the new live eco reefer rock?

Soo confusing hahahaah

S

shayneh

Yes I would say scrap the bio balls or develop a way to remove them quickly and easily so they can be cleaned regularily. The problem is they catch all the crud and then become a source of Nitrates. I would remove them when your rock arrives and just use any that don't fit in your display along with the pieces of rock in the box in the back. Totally your call but if you keep the bioballs make sure you clean them often..... ;D

quikcolin

Yeah, these balls sound like a bit of a pain in the butt.  I just cleaned them... and they had white flecks all over them (inside them, etc). 

So just so I'm clear, you're suggesting that when I get my reefer rock (which isn't "live" right now) and stick a few smaller pieces in the chamber that fits the black balls.  Even thou the reefer rock isn't "live" yet... just let them become "live" along with the rest of the tank.

I'm soaking the tank filled with water and a 2.5L jug of vinegar.  Is it okay if I can't clean all the little white flecks in the chambers?  Are they going to pose a potential problem?

I can't thank you enough for all your help!

S

shayneh

Yes I would use the reefer rock and you can seed it from an established tank. I'm sure there are guys in London that would break off a chunk or give you a small piece that is covered in coralline algae.

I figure if you can't see the flecks they aren't anything to worry about. I will assume they are from the old setup and are likely the former homes of calcareous worms they will likely dissolve in the vinegar/water over the next day.

quikcolin

Sounds good, I gotcha.

I'll head over to a Sealife Central and see if they'll sell me a piece of live rock with "coralline algae" and I'll stick it in the back... I'm assuming I just leave that rock moving forward?  I don't clean it, or even touch it once I put it in place right?

Blob-79

Super Active Member
yup. Although, you dont really need to put it in the back, if you like the look of the rock that you get from sealife you can put it in your display as well.

quikcolin

It's interesting.  I just spent the last 20 minutes reading a 3 page thread about what to do with the 2nd chamber in the back of nano tanks.  Everyone has their own opinions, each has their own positives and negatives...

Everyone said to ditch the bio-balls

50% said to use live rock rubble.

50% said to leave it empty, no rock at all. 

It was a very interesting debate... after reading the entire thread, I'm thinking of leaving the second chamber empty.  They recommend putting floss in place of the foam sponge that comes with it (that goes between chamber 2 and 3).  Now for chamber 2... that used to house the bio-balls they mention using "Chemi Pure Elite" - which I have no idea what that is???  Does it fit in a bag?  is it a powder?

S

shayneh

chemi pure is for phosphates. It's in a mesh bag (I think). I am a big proponent of running my system with dependance on as few chemical processes as possible and therefore don't support that.... but it does work. Another option if you have a lid that opens for access to the back is sticking your rubble in there and then put some mangroves in there sticking out the top.

Or you can leave empty scrape the paint off the back and attach a light and pop some chaeto in there:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70138

quikcolin

shayneh link said:
Hows the tank coming along? Have the flecks dissolved?

Well I've cleaned it all up, and made some minor adjustments to the chambers.  Most of all the flecks are gone (not all of them, but the majority... I don't think they'll pose a problem.

I actually just purchased this:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-14-Media-Basket-BC14MR.htm

It replaces everything in the 2nd chamber.  Even the need for a skimmer (in such a small tank).  This media tray holds Purigen and Chemi-pure.  Then in the first shelf you place fliter floss... the cleanup is a cinch, and seems to make sense to me.  I've read a ton of reviews on the product, and everyone seems really happy with it.  There's a video on their site of how it works.. I was sold  ;D

Looks like it might not be until the middle of this coming week till I can get the tank running now.... but I did buy some salt, a hydrometer and algae scrapper... I'm soo excited to get this project going!

quikcolin

Blob-79 link said:
Ya I know a few people with biocubes,,they swear by purigen and chemi-pure

Yea that seems to be a common theme from all the searching online I've done.  I'm really looking forward to getting this "intank media basket" it sure looks like it makes life easy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.