Clicking sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
hey guys, this may sound a little strange, but every night i hear this weird clicking sound in my tank, its random, no rhythm to it..

i look with a flashlight handy but then it never does it, but when i lay back down in my bed, i hear it again...

my stock is:

naso tang
2 breeding clowns
mandarine goby
flame angel
bi-colour angel
peppermint shrimp
various snails, turbo, nassarius, trochus,
1 hermit crab....

i havent a clue, any ideas anyone??

JordanHurst

Mantis shrimp? or a pistol shrimp, I believe the Mantis will kill your snails and I believe they make the clicking sound with their claws!!
Are you finding any dead snails/cracked shells in the tank?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
No dead snails , and in my opinion, no way that anything could have been introduced without me knowing.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
is this the rock or substrate from that system you picked up?  they hide in crevices or can even manage to make it thru substrate rinsing.
trust me.

reefin

Well......out of the live rock that I picked up from you ......I have had now since late October and I continue to fine some very interesting little creatures on it and in it! Just yesterday I found another star fish on one of the pieces in my QT tank. I have sat and watched over the last 3 months to see what would come out of it. I now have 6 brittle stars and 3 star fish. Don't know what kind of star fish they are cause I can't seem to get a very good picture of them but the one I found yesterday is about 3/4" from arm tip to arm tip and a grayish colour.  Just sayin!  :D

davesolo29

Super Active Member
look like these??

starfish_zpsdfd9b0dd.jpg

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Could a snails shell be tapping against glass? Or your hermit eating up against glass on sand in your tank?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
jerry_doucette link said:
Could a snails shell be tapping against glass? Or your hermit eating up against glass on sand in your tank?

its possible i guess, but its there every night...
its very strange... and it does sound kinda like the pistol shrimps click, but that could just be me.

reefin

davesolo29 link said:
they can get pretty big.

I didn't think they got that big. Well maybe that's what it is then. I wasn't to worried about them as they are in the QT tank.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
No dead snails , and in my opinion, no way that anything could have been introduced without me knowing.

it very well could be, it didnt have to be a full sized adult.. it could have been a 1cm small one that was in some rock.. or even hiding in the base of a coral you added.

Status
Not open for further replies.