Cliff's In Wall Reef

Cliff

Ok so update on tank build
Here is the fish room (always work to be done in here)

Here is the deltec this thing is a beast! Amazing skimmate and has never overflowed

Reactors being fed by one of the mak pumps and the brs dosers and the dosing containers I got from jimmy

My eggcrate kaeto sandwich I just made
Saw it on another site. Hope it works

And a crappy fts

Cliff

So as you know I am having to switch up my tank. When I do this I am going to try and make some livestock changes. At the moment I cannot add any fish to my tank because the tangs that are in there have already claimed real estate and any newcomers they just beat to death.
Current stocking list

Hippo tang
Purple tang
Large naso tang
Chevron tang
By colour pygmy angel
Hog fish
Mandren goby
Red short nose hawk fish

In frag tank:
Copperband
Niger trigger
Arc eye hawkfish

I have seriously been thinking of changing out some of my fish. I would like to make room for a regal angelfish. What would you recommend I get rid of?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i would think the purple would probally object to the regal the most, but you know your fish better than me.
ive also never owned a chevron so i cant comment on their aggression levels.

Trigger i would also recommend to part with, but hes in your fragtank so wont be a bother?

Nick James

Read through again from the beginning. Love the build, and the fish room! Interested to see how the cheato sandwhich works for you, I saw the idea on another site as well.

Cliff

Well here is the new tank. Got it home yesterday I am dreading the change over

Attachments

• IMG_6217.JPG
    IMG_6217.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_6216.JPG
    IMG_6216.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 148

Cliff

So I got some sweet rock for the tank so now to make sure it is 100% everything free lol

Attachments

• IMG_6241.JPG
    IMG_6241.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_6238.JPG
    IMG_6238.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 166

Cliff

Ok so I did a quick mock up of my rock.
I would like your input
I will hide the ties better in final product
This structure is huge it's almost 4' long

Attachments

• IMG_6277.JPG
    IMG_6277.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_6279.JPG
    IMG_6279.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_6280.JPG
    IMG_6280.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_6281.JPG
    IMG_6281.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_6283.JPG
    IMG_6283.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 164

Cliff

OK so I had to drop the one shelf. With it on there it was too big for me to put into any tank so it could cycle. So that shelf will be a standalone shelf off to the side. I have the structure now all tied together. I adhered the structure to some eggcrate so it never will fall over I drilled holes in both the branch and the shelf rock to hide the zip ties and then went to work foaming it. I also used fibreglass rod to make some pole structures to hold up the shelf pieces. I've then covered them with foam so they can't bee seen I will include some pictures of the fibreglass rod drilled through the rock Probably tonight I will epoxy and sand all the foam so it blends in The foam looks awful now but it will be sand colour when I'm done The thing is rocksolid now here are some pics of it foamed together

Attachments

• IMG_6381.JPG
    IMG_6381.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6385.JPG
    IMG_6385.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_6382.JPG
    IMG_6382.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_6341.JPG
    IMG_6341.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_6347.JPG
    IMG_6347.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 155

Cliff

OK so I finally have my levels under control. I was struggling with some inconsistencies on my alk calc and magnesium. So the tank is doing much better now.
Now for some questions about my next build. There has been a slight delay in setting up the 220 but it has given me more time to plan. Currently on the 135 I am running four first GEN AI hydras. My original plan was to reuse these for lights on the 220. Though I have always wanted to run some supplemental T5 on the tank. That being said I have come into possession of a beautiful T5 fixture. It is a 60 inch long eight bulb ATI power module. Would it be too much to run that ati and my AI hydras?? Maybe I could raise the T5 up off the surface a bit and possibly have my hydras line along the front of the light?