Confirm ID - Common Bristleworm

Do you agree that based on your experience this appears to be a large common bristleworm?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a Bristleworm, but I wouldn't consider it "large", you could have left it in the system

• It's a Bristleworm, but it's not the common or benign type (Explain below please)

• Complete miss-ID (Explain below please)

• Total voters

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
PXL_20210630_203032618.jpg
PXL_20210630_221448847.jpg
PXL_20210630_221222266.jpg

I'm FAIRLY certain this is a common B. worm based on sifting through pest IDs, although the red/brown dots caused me to pause a bit but it is relatively consistently colored a blue/beige otherwise and the bristles themselves are short and in tight focused clumps. I have read that even large benign worms should be removed as their size can make them a little more adventurous when it comes to their eating habits.

Last edited:

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
As far as being a worm with bristles, yes. But the body is a pronounced blue everywhere but at the base of the bristles. When I first noticed it it was stretching across the substrate and I thought it was the arm of a brittle star because it appeared to be bands of blue (white under actinics) and black. I don't think it matches the look of a bearded fireworm but then I'm biased in that I REALLY don't want to deal with that kind of pest. On the more objective side, nothing in the tank has been suffering, this is more preventative than addressing an issue.

I added in better pictures, and it looks like it has been expelling pieces of substrate, so even if I pulled a short straw and have to deal with fireworms, I think this thing has personally defined an "Oh shit" moment.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I just want to note that those are probably the best identification photos I have ever seen. Once 100% those should be a go to for identifying it.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk