copperband

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rjjs

just wondering what the longest someone has had one. i had one for two months. it was eating frozen food. didn't show any signs of unhealthiness. today it was floating.

wolfmanz

i had one for about a year, ate well and looked healthy. then like you said got up one day and dead.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Blob-79 link said:
[quote author=davesolo29 link=topic=2522.msg20063#msg20063 date=1335477558]
they always seem to find a way to get themselves stuck to a powerhead and die.

lol dave...Im pretty sure its the other way around.
[/quote]
I dont know Rob.  I cant really say im 100% postitive since im not watching as it happens or i would pry them off sooner, but, they always seem pretty healthy prior to it happening.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I'm really interested in this answer too.  I have one currently (never had one before), got it as part of a trade for a nem in March.  The guy said he had it for about six months at that point. I posted looking for aptasia at the time since he immediately gobbled the few that I had allowed to live in preparation for getting a Copper.  Since then he has become an aggressive feeder especially on Omega-one bloodworms, but he still constantly searches the rocks....Are aptasia needed for long-term health??

Years ago, my first few attempts at keeping Moorish Idols ended with fish that were eating well and looking healthy suddenly dying after 6-10 months.  Then I noticed that whenever I moved some rock between tanks they would spend days picking off all of the yellow sponge and white sea squirts that grow on shaded rocks.  So I expanded my "rock collection" and kept a lot in an extra tank ( if I had really been ahead of the curve I would have hooked it to the display and called it a sump...)so I could swap pieces with sponge growth on them in and out regularly to supplement their diets.

Result: 3 six year-old Idols that died when I had to downsize and the guy that got them ignored my instructions.... :mad:

If this thread shows that they need aptasia supplements for long-term health, they shouldn't be hard to raise...   

B

Bill@IA

Six months and counting.......

Eats almost anything we feed it but is extremely fond of PE Mysis which is our Copperband's main diet.

I look forward to checking back with this thread in a year or so, to see to see how everyone is doing.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
P1040171.jpg

9 months including the time that Brandon had him, eats anything meaty that can fit in his mouth and has eliminated the vermetid snails (hard tube worm-like things) from the tank.

And the other question that gets asked???? Shows no interest in the clam at all.

BTW the chalice is purple...the flash makes it brown in pics..

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Both look real healthy. To be honest everytime I have seen this fish in a store they look too skinny and can almost see bones. Do these fish require smaller but more frequent feeds? Or just an established aquarium they can graze to get food?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
AdInfinitum link said:
P1040171.jpg

9 months including the time that Brandon had him, eats anything meaty that can fit in his mouth and has eliminated the vermetid snails (hard tube worm-like things) from the tank.

And the other question that gets asked???? Shows no interest in the clam at all.

BTW the chalice is purple...the flash makes it brown in pics..

i almost want to offer to buy him back... looks amazing... miss the lil guy :p

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I think most of the shallow body (thinner) butterflies and tangs are constant grazers, always searching and picking, that need to eat small amounts constantly to thrive. An established tank helps and I have an auto feeder in the Sohal's tank set to drop a tiny amount as often as it can be programmed to.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Fast metabolism. They are snackers then. Good to know. I know the one at Sealife in there display tank, Linda was saying it has taken a liking to the rocks recently added from her biocube, obviously because it had not been grazed before.

B

Bill@IA

For anyone interested in trying these I currently have 4 Copperbands InStock and eagerlyeating PE Mysis just like our Copperband in the SPS system

We have had them just over two weeks.

Be glad to show you in person or via video.

BillsAquariumMay2012ForScreen-32.jpg

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I was away on vacation for a week and the feeding the CB was my main concern (everything else is automated enough to go for a week...)

Then when I was setting up the Auto-feeder, I caught him gobbling down (and not spitting back out) Omega0ne freeze dried mysis! So I left with no worries that he would starve. When I returned and gave the tank a good feed of PE Mysis, first thing in the door, he was very enthusiastic but not visibly any thinner.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I, also, got mine from Bill at IA and it is eating the PE Mysis voraciously.  I have had it for 2 months now.  I do notice that it has a real liking for my powerhead in that it swims around it over and over and over...  It has left my clam alone and has now gotten used to my garden eel and doesn't pester him as much.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Spyd- best of luck with your new addition, I think that IA has a good source for quality CBs lately.

My CB has become one of the most aggressive eaters in my tank, he will sometimes shove his mouth right into the end of my turkey baster!

Yveterinarian- Glad to hear about the the clam, I really want to add a clam, but am worried my CB will see it as food. That ould be an expensive treat! Did you add your clam before or after the CB?

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
teebone110 link said:
Yveterinarian- Glad to hear about the the clam, I really want to add a clam, but am worried my CB will see it as food. That ould be an expensive treat! Did you add your clam before or after the CB?

My clam was in there first.  It is a Blue Tridacna Crocea

Status
Not open for further replies.