Coral Dipping/ Qt

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
What are you guys doing these days for dipping/ adding pest free corals.

Say you bought a frag with bubble algae, cyano and potential flat worms, what process are you going through.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
remove the bubble algae, cut off the plug, dip in bayer, acclimate in qt for 4 weeks, keep an eye on the bubble algae , dip in coral rx, put in display

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
so you would dip in bayer and coral rx with a period of QT.

Of course i dont and dont have plans to set up a QT, so would you recommend, trying to find frags with minimal observable problems, then Bayer / rx and then into the display?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Personally, I was taught you can never trust no one , that being said , I personally dip with whatever I have (bayers is the best from what I was told)
But without qt your chances of getting something in your dt will sky rocket

Kman

Super Active Member
If i dip at all I use the bayer dip as well. Remember it is crazy toxic so precautions need to be taken. For new people to the hobby a QT is the most safest. But I find the constant moving from tank to tank can up the chances of a loss. Over the years I have just gotten good at spotting the bad stuff so with experience I find the dip and placing the coral in my DT works best. Someplace with good flow and medium lighting. I am not a fan of putting the coral into final position and messing with my lighting. I feel changing the environment for one coral is counter productive and puts stress on all the corals. So I myself would rather keep moving the coral into higher lighting till it gets to final location. The assortment of magnetic frag rack allow you to just gradually move the coral up.

But till people get experience at spotting stuff a QT is probably the safest option.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bayer-insecticide-as-a-coral-dip.100496/

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
so you would dip in bayer and coral rx with a period of QT.

Of course i dont and dont have plans to set up a QT, so would you recommend, trying to find frags with minimal observable problems, then Bayer / rx and then into the display?
Bayer dip for bugs, rx for algae, i like to have some time between dips.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I too use bayer. I stopped with coral rx a few years back after we discovered it didn't do anything to red bugs, and fighting red bugs in the DT is pretty hard on the whole system.

Remove the plug, dip in bayer for 10 mins with a small powerhead (gloves, mask and mark the items you use for bayer!!), rinse about 4 times in 4 jugs of tank water and you're good to go. I've never had a QT, but of course, I'm still battling "bonus anenomes", so what do I know :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I too use bayer. I stopped with coral rx a few years back after we discovered it didn't do anything to red bugs, and fighting red bugs in the DT is pretty hard on the whole system.

Remove the plug, dip in bayer (gloves, mask and mark the items you use for bayer!!), rinse about 4 times in 4 jugs of tank water and you're good to go. I've never had a QT, but of course, I'm still battling "bonus anenomes", so what do I know :)

bonus nems are the best arent they? they go with the cool little round bubble corals that look like algae :D