Coral Frag Growing Contest

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
with frag fest fresh in my mind and all the frags and people that attended the event I was wondering if a frag grow out contest would be a fun idea?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
We've tried it before with zoas, hind of hard with a lot of things, as each coral has it's own growth thing. IE some sps like to encrust like crazy to build a base for a large colony, while some just go for the sky. With softies, the dirtier the tank, the better some of them do... so all things aren't equal :)

OrcaSB

What about a tank tour. We use to do them years ago. Are there enough members that live relatively close to make such a tour work logistically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Zoos

What if we all start with the same frag??? Find a huge colony and all that wanna compete go in on the cost then get a frag. MAunt a lps so that sps fans and softie fans get onto an equal field. It would take a bit longer but then it would show thrive and not survive.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
What if we all start with the same frag??? Find a huge colony and all that wanna compete go in on the cost then get a frag. MAunt a lps so that sps fans and softie fans get onto an equal field. It would take a bit longer but then it would show thrive and not survive.
i wish i could find the link but we did do this before.

Im not sure how it ended up turning out

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I thought something like a birdsnest coral or monti or favia or Blasto or acan, relatively easy to grow but with different systems and placements it would be interesting to see if 10 people had the same 1 inch frag what would happen in a year. every month you would summit a picture of your coral and everyone would see its growth.

Could have different categories: LPS, SPS, soft corals

Nick James

You may not believe this, but I entered and won second* in an acro growing contest earlier this year that was held by a Niagara area group. The asterisk is because there were only three of us with a living frag at the end, but that was part of the challenge. I believe the colony that was chopped up wasn't looking so hot before hand, and I made sure I was the first one to pick up a frag.

I think for this to work, we need a relatively fast growing coral (birds of paradise, ponape birdsnest, forest fire digi) and a period of 3-5 months.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Someone has a Walt Disney Acro. That would make an excellent coral for a contest, Not sure what he's asking. But it can't be that much right?

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
All contestants could bring their frag to the Brantford show. Would cool to see the difference in person.

But realistically, no body wants to do it.