Cyanobacteria and Red Slime Algae

CherryBlossom

Looks like i'm having some issues with this in my 29 Gallon BioCube tank, It's not to bad since my water change but my Nitrates are high & my PH Is around 8.0, I've also had my skimmer running non stop in the tank for a few weeks!

Salinity is around 1.022 since i did the water change last night

Any other suggestions to help boot this out of my tank and maybe add some other filtration to my tank with Cheato? ( Sorry if that is spelled wrong )

Thanks guys, See you all Saturday!
Teri

spyd

Super Active Member
How often are you doing water changes? I assume you are using RODI water as well. If nitrates are up, I suggest a large water change. In a tank that small, weekly water changes would be ideal. Phosphates can be an issue as well. Have you checked that lately? GFO can help resolve any PO4 issues. Other issues that can cause it are low flow / dead flow areas or old bulbs.

Manually remove as much as you can. You can try dosing Microbacter7 to help lower your nutrient levels. It worked for me but mine is caused more so because of the bio-pellets I run. Increasing flow in those area should help and lights out for a good 3 days.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Add a GFO reactor.  I went with a BRS cannister and powerhead, and put both carbon and GFO in the one chamber (it's designed to be used that way).  I've got ~40 gallons max.

Also check how old your lights are.  cyano likes bad bulbs.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

+1 to the bulbs, that's my reason for having it in my one frag tank, except I really don't care so I haven't changed the bulbs yet :)

CherryBlossom

I have a power head almost at the top and a power head on the bottom , also my tank just hit the 5 month mark, Think I'd need to change the bulbs already? Since its a brand new tank

My first chamber has the skimmer in it, I'll have to do some research on the reactor as well

Didn't seem as bad as it was yesterday when I got home from work, I'm also cutting down my light cycle for now, did a decent water change on Wed as well as tested my water

I am using RODI water yes! I wouldn't dare to use anything else

I was thinking about adding some other kind of filtration on the bottom of the first chamber, have any suggestions? Don't know if this would work due to having my skimmer in there as well

CherryBlossom

Also have to check my phosphates, as I haven't done this

Is there another test kit I can get maybe at the show that's good for testing everything?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate

CherryBlossom link said:
Also have to check my phosphates, as I haven't done this

Is there another test kit I can get maybe at the show that's good for testing everything?

Send sealife central a message or big Al's, or Royal aquariums. All of them carry different types of test kits.

I would recommend this one as best bang for your buck right now for you to figure stuff out. They also have a cal,mg,kh kit if you need one of those too. http://www.redseafish.com/index.aspx?id=4367

I use Hannah for everything except calcium and magnesium which I use salfert test kits.

Hope this helps :)

CherryBlossom

Thank you! I'll be sure to check this out when I get off work...

How far is Big Al's or Sealife From the show? Can always just pop over there too

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate

Sealife is relatively close, big Al's being prob another 8-10min depending on traffic.

GirDance

I use a hanna phosphate checker and the red sea reef foundations and colours pro mulit test kits.  Once I run out of what I have I plan to get another hanna checker for AlK as well. 

I picked them up from BRS due to the pricing difference - with a group buy I'd wager that you can't beat the prices.  If you can't wait each shop carries different test kits Aquariums By Design in Waterloo carries a good variety, I'm pretty sure I saw the Red Sea kits there, and they currently have the phosphorous ULR tester in stock (better for systems with low phosphates).

I am looking to switch from my hanna phosphate to phosphours ulr tester - I may be willing to sell it and the unopened box of reagents if you need one.

*** I also meant to add, if you aren't already, I would recommend syphoning out the cyano daily to slow it's spread

CherryBlossom

Just got home and seems my lights flickered when I turned them on, been cutting my light cycle down...

Looks like I'm on the Hunt for new bulbs!

Tracey

Just shut out the lights and wrap your tank in black garbage bags so no light get in for 2-3 days, it will be gone.  If any survives, do this again 30 days.