dam phosphates!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
So..  I have my display tank at my new house now,, finally.  When i tore it down it was quite green.  So, im giving all my rock an RO bath and scrub.
Im gonna soak, scrub, rinse, repeat all in my 110 gallon frag tank and keep lots of flow on it.

So.... during this process:

1. should i keep it heated?
2. will running gfo while doing this help?
3. will running biopellets help?

Im in no big rush to get this tank going again until i am sure my PO4 is at zero.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i think if you soak the rock in an ro bath, test for PO4,
dump out the water soak again, test again, repeat, and keep repeating until zero or unmeasurable PO4

someone recommended this method to me on this forum i believe.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Brandon link said:
dump out the water soak again, test again, repeat, and keep repeating until zero or unmeasurable PO4

Thats pretty much the plan.. except with scrubbing also

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Petercar link said:
Why not use all new sand ,water,rock and let it go thru a new cycle
Im not that rich...  I will be using all new sand, water, and hopefully cleaner rock.  Yes it will have to go thru a new cycle..

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
davesolo29 link said:
[quote author=Brandon link=topic=3866.msg34284#msg34284 date=1356709172]

Thats pretty much the plan.. except with scrubbing also
[/quote]

my first tank that i ever got, i spent 10 hours trying to get the green of the dead rock that came with it, i used: wire brush, tooth brush, and every brush in between and it took forever...

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
if it was me I wouldn't do any of that, you have no fish or coral to worry about so why not just get it up and running the way you plan to have it, turn on the Skimmer, GFO, and Biopellets and get it running.. let it work it out naturally and get into balance.. im thinking this would be the quickest way.. Let your System do the work for u.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
So..  you guys are not actually answering the questions i asked.
I already know how to soak rock, scrub rock, and rinse rock.

basically what i want to know is...  if biopellets work in freshwater..  i know a skimmer wont unless it is saltwater.  So is it worth trying?

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Duke link said:
if it was me I wouldn't do any of that, you have no fish or coral to worry about so why not just get it up and running the way you plan to have it, turn on the Skimmer, GFO, and Biopellets and get it running.. let it work it out naturally and get into balance.. im thinking this would be the quickest way.. Let your System do the work for u.
I was thinking that also...

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
answers to your questions imo..

bio pellets aren't going to work in fresh water the way you would like them too

and GFO will remove phosphates from plain RO water.

and theres no point in heating it if your killing your rock anyways with RO water

I wouldn't do this tho, imo your setting yourself back further if you cook the rock and start over.. but I haven't seen your tank or rock so maybe that's not the case.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
davesolo29 link said:
So..  you guys are not actually answering the questions i asked.
I already know how to soak rock, scrub rock, and rinse rock.

basically what i want to know is...  if biopellets work in freshwater..  i know a skimmer wont unless it is saltwater.  So is it worth trying?

no.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Petercar link said:
All he wants to do is remove all the green algae from all his rock?..can dipping it in freshwater kill saltwater algae
No,, what i actually want to do is remove the phospates from inside the rock so that i dont get more green algae on the rock later.

dale

i agree with duke about setting it up and letting the system do what its supposed to do,, by the time your po evens out, your tank will allready be used to removing these nutrients so adding a bioload will just be allowing it to keep doing what its allready doing,, and if your po doesnt come down.,,., it allows you to try diff methods and systems with no risk to your livestock.  of course it all looks good on paper.... if you have time.... you have options..

Status
Not open for further replies.