Deep Sand Bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jones02

So I have a fuge and well its just had cheato in it. Beenn thinking on addinng a DSB to it. What is the benifits of havinng one? How many people have 1? How deep should it be and should I add a mix of live and dry sand? Or should I evenn add one?

spyd

Super Active Member
I have a remote deep sand bed running. It needs to be a good 6" deep using fine grain sand. Add some Nassarius snails to it to keep the top layer turned up. If ou are running pellets, I wouldnt bother. The thing ou have to watch out for is gases being built up and having something disturb the sand too much and causing the gases to escape. This could cause an entire tank crash. Thats why I like the idea of a true remote deep sand bed. If something happens, I can just turn the valve and take it offline. In a sump, it is not so easy to do.

I am going to take mine offline soon and convert the RDS tank to a frag tank as I find it collects too much debris.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i have 2 DSB on my 75 gal,in my overflows,each 6"x6"x6",have used them last few years ,even in my cube display,i feel every little bit helps.i also run pellets.like spyd says,use nasarious snails to keep the top layer turned over but do not disturb the sandbed in general

J

jones02

I thinnk I'm going to only do a small sand bed, just for that little extra and add some neat criters to it. The whole gases thing scares me a bit :s

Status
Not open for further replies.