Di Resin Storage

Anthony

Hey everyone,

I'm new to filtering my own water.

About a 1/4 of my colour change resin has changed colour,
and my DI cartridge appears to be refillable.

In researching bulk resin to refill this, I'm coming across a number of places selling 1 lb bags (listed as being able to fill a 10" cartridge), is there any disadvantage to purchasing larger amounts of resin? Is there a shelf life issue with DI resin? storage issue for the un-used resin? What do size do most people purchase? and where? and roughly how many gallons of filtered water should a 10" cartridge last?

Thanks for the help.
Anthony

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
There is a shelf life once the bag is opened, I buy BRS resin in the 1lb pouches and it does a 10" cartridge. I live on the border so I get it shipped to Port Huron but they do ship to Canada. How long it lasts depends on your water and how well you pre filter. You should find out if your municipality uses chloramines or not as it requires a different to remove it.

Skim

Oh Ya, Brantford use Chloramine. They changed over about 5 years ago, and levels are pretty much close to max. So yes in Brantford you will want to use the Special Carbon blocks, you can get them from ReefSupplies. For the Di resign I believe you are much better off buying a few 1 lb. units, packed the way they are they should be good for a few years maybe more. It is when you open a fresh bag and do not use it all or when you order a large bag that can not be sealed so air can get in, that the beads may dry and crack then the are useless. Basically treat it as you would salt.

Nick James

Fort Erie refers to the addition of sodium hypochlorite, Just double checking but that is not chloramine correct?

Anthony

I'm using a 1 micro universal Carbon block (came with the BRS RODI system)
using the test strips that came with the system, I get 0 free chlorine, and about 3 total chlorine (TDS is around 300) for the water going into the system,
after the filters and before the di resin, I get 0 on both, and tds is about 9 ,after a few minutes of running . I just did the mode to the unit so that i can discard the high TDS water when i first turn on the system before it hits the di resin, hopefully my usage will go down.

Are all di resin's the same, or is there something i should be looking for when purchasing the 1lb bags?