Different Versions Of Utter Chaos

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Awhile ago I got one tiny polyp of Utter Chaos from one of the good frag dealers from the GTA. It grew out nicely but never got the black center I expected. When I was at Eric's place I saw his (from Reef Raft via Kevin T, I believe) and they were just like the ones you see in pictures. I recently got a few from Eric (many thanks) and so I thought I would post a side by side and look for some pics from the rest of you to see what other versions are out there.

The ones from Eric are on the left, have the nice deep black in the center. My other version on the right are clearly larger (the frag from Eric have been reproducing not just smaller heads cut from the edge of a colony) the same bright orange but not the distinctive black center. The second shot is with some other zoas for size and colour reference.

DSC05471-2_zpsx7ho34wy.jpg

DSC05472-3_zps4iimtfay.jpg

I've showed you mine...Now you show me yours! ;)

...or at least let us know which ones yours look like.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Is it not possible to consider one is not "Utter Chaos"? I would not even say they are the same inner pattern, not just that one is darker in the middle.

That is kind of the point I've been trying to make about corals with no real lineage... All kinds of "close" variants getting sold under one popular name gradually getting further and further from the original ( ...see the various palys being sold as Hallucination around here!) The ones on the right were from a reputable dealer IMO and the polyp was so tiny that perhaps it was something else that was mistaken....

No regrets as they are seriously awesome but clearly different.... I created the thread to see how many different variants are being sold under the UC name around here.....

Last edited:

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I had about 5 nice heads and the glue let go and lost them and they never grew must have died :(

SpongeAl

That is kind of the point I've been trying to make about corals with no real lineage... All kinds of "close" variants getting sold under one popular name gradually getting further and further from the original ( ...see the various palys being sold as Hallucination around here!) The ones on the right were from a reputable dealer IMO and the polyp was so tiny that perhaps it was something else that was mistaken....

No regrets as they are seriously awesome but clearly different.... I created the thread to see how many different variants are being sold under the UC name around here.....

My Sunny D aren't as sunny as yours.

Perhaps they are Partly Cloudys. Badoom tish.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Better Picture of mine, Im at work. got mine at London Fragfest and it wasn't cheap. But I am

IMG_0097.jpg

Last edited:

Josh

20170513_150218-01-jpeg.13575

Got mine at fragfest from i beleive GTA Reef, was the end table in the middle across from the Bashea setup.

Can i call dibs on a frag when and if you ever frag the ones on the right? :D

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
OK so the more Utters I see...the more it looks like the ones on the right actually are different although when they are babies they are black and look like the ones on the left but then they grow larger and oranger than the Utters....but at least to me, that difference is "hey cool" not "hey 300 bucks"...LOL