Dimmable Onyx by Rapid LED

benzzz

Dimmable Onyx by Rapid LED

http://www.rapidled.com/dimmable-onyx-by-rapid-led/

Just wondering if anyone has one of these fixtures or some input about them. I am currently using 4 60 degree  Halo Par 38's but I would have to set up a wall dimmer to add the other 4 still in the boxes. Really like these lights and can be controller with Apex or separate controller.

Considering getting 3 units and linking together.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have been weighing between the RapidLED Onyx and the RapidLED Dual Aurora Puck Kit (Dimmable), but really leaning towards the Aurora. Mainly because it will only take 2 fixtures for my tank, Onyx would be 3. Plus, I would always rather DIY then by fabbed if possible. Plus both are controllable through my Apex, which is a huge selling feature for me.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
One thing to consider with the pucks...all the LEDs have to run at the same current as the weakest bulb, so if a puck has a blue and royal blue, it can only be run at a max 1.0A. 

I looked into them myself as they just look great, but would likely stick to the individual bulbs (for now).  Just my $.02

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Salty Cracker link said:
One thing to consider with the pucks...all the LEDs have to run at the same current as the weakest bulb, so if a puck has a blue and royal blue, it can only be run at a max 1.0A. 

I looked into them myself as they just look great, but would likely stick to the individual bulbs (for now).  Just my $.02

Yes and no to a point. No different then running channels with an LED set up. All 4 channels can be run at their own current set on the drivers. The Onyx only has 3 channels. So even less control.

Have you looked at purchasing the Onyx housing and DIY the build from there? That is another very tempting option while still keeping with the sleek shell and doing a DIY, best of all worlds :D

benzzz

The link unibob added I checked them out as well. I am going to a friends tonight to pick up a sps frag from his tank. He got his LED off of ebay and says the tank is doing great. will check out what he has. I clicked a link here from someones signature and it sent me to bean bag corals I think. the website option for lights didnt have much or when I clicked on a couple different ones nothing loaded. Just thought I would browse local sites.  ;D

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
benzzz link said:
The link unibob added I checked them out as well. I am going to a friends tonight to pick up a sps frag from his tank. He got his LED off of ebay and says the tank is doing great. will check out what he has. I clicked a link here from someones signature and it sent me to bean bag corals I think. the website option for lights didnt have much or when I clicked on a couple different ones nothing loaded. Just thought I would browse local sites.  ;D

Unibob is bean bag frags :)

Pm sent regarding no lights on site.