DIY Algae Scrubber

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dr BlueThumb

no  problem.

This is a bit anal but go with a low amount of rock at first in your display tank and work on the aiptasia you have in the display tank. instead of adding tons of rock's at first.

If you can set up a second simple tank then you can work with the other half of rock's from there. So you have easy excess to your aiptasia filled rock. splitting your total rock's in half means you can get to more aiptasia filled rock's with out moving other large quantities of rocks around.

You can even set up Rubbermaid tank's to cycle dried out rock's that were full of aiptasia that you already killed and dried out.

You probably won't need to do this thou. it's just what I do and I check every new coral/rock etc that I get from there on out.

I always keep extra rock on the side. just in case.

Now to keep it simple, when  I buy rock's. I make sure that I can run a slow water stream  through it, while not having deep crevasses for aiptasia to borrow into it, which I can't get at.

This is just what I do. lot's of people do it differently thou.

S

stellarflare

Hi Dr BlueThumb, Thank you for that non-anal advice. That's a great idea for isolating and to quarantine existing and new rock. I will start up that type of setup as soon as possible. Thanks again my friend for your valuable advice.

D

Dr BlueThumb

Even if you can set up a small 29G with 4 t5 h.o, 30-45 lbs live rock and a few cheap hydor pump's,small hang on the back aqua clear with 20% weekly water changes, it gives you a  decent tank to work with. plus it could be a frag tank as well to swap for new coral.

even water from your water changes on the large tank will do.

Rubber maid container's no light, with a dual air pump can help too. If you want to starve aiptasia/algae for month's. while keeping alive rock.

S

stellarflare

Hi Dr BlueThumb, These are all good need to know ideas that are very useful to me. I have a spare tank that I will be setting up shortly. Thank you for guiding me with your ideas my friend. They are all ideas that I had not considered until you brought them to my attention.

Thank you my friend

Status
Not open for further replies.