Diy Led

partydiver

Its official I decided I'm going to attempt a solderless LED build for my 28 Cube, plan is to ditch the hood. I still haven't decided yet if I'm going to do regular LEDs, or I was looking at the Aurora puck from rapidled. Going to be run off a coralux storm controller. I'm going to need to figure out a way to mount it because hanging from the ceiling will not work.

Questions:
1. Mounting ideas (for a most likely 6x10 heatsink)?
2. Regular LEDs or puck?
3. Number of recommended LEDs and colour ratio?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Rapid led has the kits that will screw right into a bio cube hood. Clean install no hanging wires.

Never used pucks before or the solder less stuff. It's all the same lights and I guess it depends on your color choices and more importantly your comfort level with projects like this.

Half and half cw and rv is the old way that still works. Full spectrum is the new way.

Personally I would go with the pucks. They would give you te most color. As far as mounting it, I would consider keeping the hood and gutting it. Other ideas are to cantilever it off the wall or prop it up on the tank sides with legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxmurrxx

The rapid led cube kits are great, did one for my 29, and 8g cube.. Pretty easy to throw together. Just go with the dimmable kit because they are pretty powerful.

reefgeek

Have used rapidLED in the past, good kits, good advice. Lots of other options out there for DIY, decide on what you want to achieve, exactly (dimming, colour combo, brand of led, multichip or single led, number of channels, control) and then do not make many compromises as chances are you will be able to find and build exactly what you want; that's the beauty of DIY.

Bece13

Have used rapidLED in the past, good kits, good advice. Lots of other options out there for DIY, decide on what you want to achieve, exactly (dimming, colour combo, brand of led, multichip or single led, number of channels, control) and then do not make many compromises as chances are you will be able to find and build exactly what you want; that's the beauty of DIY.

+1 . I got my parts from http://www.stevesleds.com/ and the power source from Jameco. But that was about a year ago. I didn't finish them yet (gave up after that problem with my tank) but I'll try to do it in December or January (time permitting :)). I kind of remember reading a lot on nano-reef.com about how to design them (clusters) to avoid the disco effect and also what kind of optics to use. If I find the links when I'm going to do mine and if you still need them I can post them. (just realised that the original post is from July)

Kyle1970

396404540.jpg

I had put one of the retro fit kits (Nano Tuners) into my original 14gal biocube. I believe it had 12 RB and 6 WH. I was quite happy with them being spread out across the full width of the tank. I would however now if I did it again, put some reds and UV into the mix as I really like the added color.
I much preferred the idea of gutting the lid as well because I didn't like the idea of losing more water to evaporation. It left it looking very clean. Will put up a pic if I find one.
396404577.jpg

With the original hood I also knew it was dry and cooled nicely with fans.
Sold it, so it's out there somewhere......

Last edited:

onecansay

Well scuba.
Did a Rapid Led on my 36x36x18 with dimmer drivers @ 0-10V.

34 LED on 18 inch heat sink with fan.

That was WAY over a year ago.

Just found out how powerful the intensity is!!

Looking at the Rapid Led Borealis puck.

Will be using a StormX on my system but have learned that
LED fixtures can scorch corals.

Other than that most thrive under LED.

Unfortunately, some do not.

onecansay

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
im used to setting led intensities and light acclimation i use all led on my display acros millis monties and zoas all loving it just a 20 gal would fit nicely into bedroom lol