Do or dont??

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

copperkills

Im thinking of swapping out all my LR with new quarried macro rock,  will my tank encounter a substantial cycle from disturbing the Sandbed that I should take chemical measures to prevent? Im not replacing the SB but my current rock is embedded roughly 4".

Comments or suggestions welcomed.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
It will go thru a major cycle.

Just a word of advice, rinse it very well a few times.  For at least a week.  If you seed it seperatly for a few weeks prior to swapping it will be best as well.  I have used lots of the dry rock and it always seems to leech phosphates.  Just a word of warning.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
copperkills link said:
Im thinking of swapping out all my LR with new quarried macro rock,  will my tank encounter a substantial cycle from disturbing the Sandbed that I should take chemical measures to prevent? Im not replacing the SB but my current rock is embedded roughly 4\".

Comments or suggestions welcomed.

myself i would be more concerned about the 4 inches of sand that the rock is buried in,Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) is quite toxic and at 4 inches i would think there is a possibility of some present,if you could remove the imbedded rocks over a course of time as opposed to all at once it might be safer.this would be my main concern over a cycle

C

copperkills

The LR I have are very large pieces that I have had for 7 years now.  They are terrible for aquascaping and leave me with little area on the SB and if I ever get sps to grow it will be extremely difficult to maintain anything near the bottom of the tank.  I want to reduce the size and area the LR occupies in my DT so I can grow out colonies.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Have you thought about a hammer and chissel?  Or even a tile saw......you could clean the rock and break it up to create an aquascape and put it back together in one day....if you do it right you shouldnt have a problem  IMO.

C

copperkills

Well,  I took a risk and pulled out all my rock except for the largest deepest piece;  which Instead of lifting out I slowly dragged it a few inhes.  I did that yesterday and finished my new aquascape just before lights out!  So far so good! All fish and critters are still looking happy and healthy.  I needed to rearrange my rock to eliminate shadowing so I get complete light coverage from my VEGA.  Im much happier with the result.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
[quote author=copperkills link=topic=3840.msg34115#msg34115 date=1356368631]
Well,  I took a risk and pulled out all my rock except for the largest deepest piece;  which Instead of lifting out I slowly dragged it a few inhes.  I did that yesterday and finished my new aquascape just before lights out!  So far so good! All fish and critters are still looking happy and healthy.  I needed to rearrange my rock to eliminate shadowing so I get complete light coverage from my VEGA.  Im much happier with the result.
[/what size is yur tank?...i have a al sol still innthe box ..do yu ok with one or yu need another vega?

C

copperkills

If I wanted full light coverage I would need two units...My tank is a 65g...Im happy with the low PAR levels on 4" in from either side (75) where I place my blastos and chalice.  Rest of SB is roughly 175.

Status
Not open for further replies.